Tag Archives: Edwards

Leon Edwards set to 'make a mockery' of Nate Diaz in UFC 263 showdown – Michael Bisping

UFC: McGregor ramps up prep for Poirier rematch

England’s Edwards is undefeated since a 2015 loss to current UFC welterweight champion Kamaru Usman, and fellow Brit Bisping said that the Birmingham native is one big win away from earning himself a shot at the gold later this year.

Edwards has been on the cusp of a title shot for more than a year. 

But the arrival of the COVID-19 pandemic saw his main event bout with former champ Tyron Woodley in London scrapped last March.

And his only bout since, a matchup with Belal Muhammad, ended in unfortunate circumstances after an accidental eye-poke from the Brit forced the bout to be stopped and ruled a no contest.

During that time, former interim champion Colby Covington has been installed as the UFC’s number-one contender to face Usman, who knocked out Jorge Masvidal in their world title rematch earlier this year.

JUST IN:
Dana White slams Paulo Costa over pay complaints

Leon Edwards and Nate Diaz

Michael Bisping predicts Leon Edwards will ‘make a mockery’ of Nate Diaz at UFC 263 (Image: GETTY)

It means Edwards remains on the outside, looking in. But Bisping said that could all change this weekend.

Speaking to Express Sport, the only Brit to capture UFC championship gold said Edwards faced the perfect opportunity to secure a shot at the gold later this year.

“Leon Edwards is a tremendous fighter, and a tremendous athlete, and he’s doing everything he needs to do – he’s winning fights,” he said.

“What’s he on, an eight-fight win streak with one no contest?  He’s beating people, he’s getting better, he looks dangerous, he looks deadly. 

DON’T MISS:
Dana White tells Floyd Mayweather to retire, talks Logan Paul in UFC
Conor McGregor name-dropped by ex-NFL star ‘Ochocinco’ after debut
Logan Paul plans to fight own brother after Floyd Mayweather

“The only thing I think, personally – and this isn’t an insult – his star power isn’t there, certainly in the States.

“Obviously in the U.K. if you’re an MMA fan, you know Leon Edwards. But in the U.S., the hardcores probably know he is. 

“But the majority of the fanbase are probably casuals who tune in for Conor McGregor fights and championship pay-per-views and stuff like that. 

“They all know who Nate Diaz is, of course, and there’s a huge percentage of pay-per-view buyers who are tuning in who are going to be fired up for the people’s main event, which is Nate Diaz.”

Bisping said it’s Diaz’s star power that will prove to be a blessing for Edwards, with their specially-arranged five-round welterweight feature bout at UFC 263 on Saturday night serving as the perfect launchpad for a title challenge.

Bisping said there could be opportunities for either man if they win this weekend.

“God bless him, taking on Leon Edwards, that’s a very, very ballsy move,” Bisping said of Diaz. 

“But if he beats Leon, he gets a title fight off the back of that, for sure. 

“But, what I think’s going to happen is Leon Edwards goes out there and just makes a mockery of him to be honest. 

“I think he’s going to beat him very badly, I do.

“Now of course, Diaz, you never know. I said that against McGregor. I said McGregor’s gonna destroy this guy the first time, and we know what happened. 

“But I think, on paper, when I look at the skillsets, when I look at the size of Leon Edwards and what he’s capable of, I fail to see a way that Diaz can win.

“And then, Saturday night, after that fight, everyone in America knows who Leon Edwards is, and they all want to see him fight again. 

“So all he’s got to do is wait on the sidelines, maybe six months, and he gets a title shot. … (Beating Diaz would mean) he’d then have the star power to go along with his skills.”

BT Sport 1 will show UFC 263: Adesanya v Vettori 2 exclusively live on Saturday 12th June with coverage of the main card, featuring Leon Edwards vs Nate Diaz, from 3am. For more info go to bt.com/sport/ufc

Author:
This post originally appeared on Daily Express :: Sport Feed

Perrie Edwards announces PREGNANCY just days after bandmate Leigh-Anne's own baby news

Perrie Edwards has delighted her Instagram followers by sharing that she and boyfriend Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain are expecting their first baby. The Little Mix hitmaker shared a series of photos of her blossoming bump alongside her football player partner.
The 27-year-old wrote to her 11.6 million followers: “So happy to be on this wild journey with my soulmate.

“Me + Him = You. We can’t wait to meet you baby Ox!”

The update garnered more than 300,000 likes in a matter of minutes.

Alex shared the same images with his own 4.8 million fans on the picture-sharing app.

READ MORE: Dan Walker addresses wife’s ‘six-month ban’ as Eamonn Holmes wades in

“We’ve dreamed about this moment for so long and we can’t believe the dream is finally coming true…” the singer said.

She signed off: “We can’t wait to meet you.”

Perrie had written at the time: “I can’t stop staring at these pictures. You’re a vision.

“Ily both so much! CONGRATULATIONS my beautiful sister!”(sic)

Author:
This post originally appeared on Daily Express :: Celebrity News Feed

Leon Edwards faces ANOTHER fight postponement as injury forces Nate Diaz out of May UFC showdown

English bruiser Leon Edwards has suffered yet another setback in his bid for welterweight gold after his much-anticipated bout with Nate Diaz was postponed by a month due to an injury suffered by the Stockton slugger in training.

He may be undefeated in his past nine outings in the UFC cage but Edwards has endured some rotten luck in his bid to climb the ladder in the talent-rich 170lbs division in recent times – and through little fault of his own.

The latest setback was revealed overnight amid reports that his high-profile fight with Nate Diaz, which was scheduled for May 15, will now take place a month or so later later than advertized after Diaz was understood to have suffered a minor injury during training, necessitating the postponement of the welterweight scrap.

The new date for the rare five-round non-main event is June 12, where it will now take place on the card to be headlined by Israel Adesanya and Marvin Vettori’s middleweight title bout. Deiveson Figueiredo again defends his flyweight crown against Brandon Moreno at the same event.

No information has been released as to the nature of Diaz’s injury. 

Edwards’ run of bad luck has extended more than a year. In March 2020, his UFC London headline bout opposite Tyron Woodley was shelved on the week of the fight due to Covid-19 guidelines instituted by the UK government – with Edwards also unable to accept a short notice fight with 170lbs champion Kamaru Usman due to similar travel restrictions. That fight ultimately went to Edwards’ rival, Jorge Masvidal.

He was then slated to face the undefeated Khamzat Chimaev late last year, but that too was canned due to both men contracting Covid-19 – with rescheduling complicated by the extent of Chimaev’s illness.

Edwards then accepted a fight against the tough Belal Muhammad in March, only for the fight to be declared a no-contest early in the second round following an accidental eye-poke delivered by the Brit.

It is now approaching two years since Edwards has competed in a full-length fight, and he remains unbeaten since 2016. 

As for Diaz, the fight with Edwards will be his first outing in the cage since losing the ‘BMF’ title bout to Masvidal in late 2019 in a fight which was called off by the cageside doctor owing to a series of cuts on the Californian’s face.
Also on rt.com ‘Absolute banger’: Fans anticipating firefight as Leon Edwards handed tough Nate Diaz test in historic five-round contest

Author: RT
This post originally appeared on RT Sport News

‘Teen Mom’ Reunion Preview: Maci Bookout & Husband Taylor Face Off With Ryan Edwards’ Parents

The first look at the reunion showdown between Maci Bookout and her exes’ parents is here. The preview arrives after the older couple, along with their son Ryan Edwards, were reportedly ‘let go’ from ‘Teen Mom OG.’

“You have something to say, come out here and say it,” Maci Bookout‘s husband, Taylor McKinley, says in the extremely tense preview for the upcoming Teen Mom OG reunion. Although the clip didn’t show who Taylor was talking to, fans know that the couple was sitting down with the grandparents of Maci’s 12-year-old son Bentley, and the parents of her ex Ryan EdwardsJen and Larry. Leading up to the reunion, there had been ongoing tensions between the families; Ryan’s family was frustrated that they were spending less time with Bentley, while Maci has insisted that they’ve been allowed to see her son.

These tensions appear to come to a head at the reunion. However, it’s not Maci who’s doing the fighting in the preview clip. “You’re a sorry son of a b-tch,” her husband, Taylor, snaps later in the preview clip. Again, it’s unclear who he’s saying this to, but the preview cuts to Ryan’s mom Jen exclaiming, “Excuse me?” The rest of the preview showed the other cast members having just as dramatic talks — you can watch the full teaser above.

Maci Bookout, Taylor McKinney
Maci Bookout is pictured here with her husband, Taylor McKinney, at the Teen Mom OG reunion. [Courtesy of MTV]

While fans will have to wait for the rest of this feud to play out when part one of the Teen Mom OG reunion airs on April 20, it was reported that Maci and Taylor got “so angry” that they “eventually stormed off set” after coming “to blows with Ryan’s parents,” per The Ashley.

Ryan Edward's parents
Ryan Edward’s parents, Larry and Jen, appear flustered at the Teen Mom OG reunion. [Courtesy of MTV]

After the reunion taped, Ryan’s father Larry revealed that the family had been fired from Teen Mom OG. “We, the family have been let go from the show by the network. It’s unbelievable,” he told The Sun. More details were provided by a report from The Ashley, which claimed that Maci had gotten her ex’s family fired. “The Edwards were informed that Maci’s reps wanted to go a different direction and showcase all of her abilities. Maci went to production and explained she wanted her story to cover all the parts of her life and no longer focus on Ryan and his family,” a source told the outlet towards the end of March.

Right off the bat, this season of Teen Mom OG kicked off with drama between Maci and her ex’s family. At the time, Maci’s temporary order of protection against Ryan had ended, but he was hesitant to reach out again. “She did an order of protection with about 30 lies last time, so I just don’t feel the need to speak to her and bring some of that back into my life,” Ryan said in the season premiere that aired in Jan. 2021.

Jade Boren

This article originally appeared on Hollywood Life

Now Huw Edwards is ‘ordered’ by BBC to delete flag tweet defending Naga Munchetty

“Always a flag, Munchetty remarked. “Always a flag. They had the picture of the Queen there in Westminster office – I’m assuming.”

After BBC Breakfast, Naga liked anti-Conservative tweets including, “The flag s*****s will be up in arms”. 

She also liked a post which said: “Should be done every time the Tories roll out one of the talking head ministers”. 

Last night, the BBC star apologised and tweeted: “I ‘liked’ tweets today that were offensive in nature about the use of the British flag as a backdrop in a government interview this morning. I have since removed these ‘likes’. 

“This do not represent the views of me or the BBC. I apologise for any offence taken. Naga.”

Following the presenter’s apology, a BBC source told The Sun that bosses “reminded” Munchetty of her “responsibilities” over impartially concerns.

'I have unfinished business with Masvidal': UFC star Leon Edwards eyes 3-piece & soda revenge 'inside or outside the cage' (VIDEO)

UFC welterweight Leon Edwards confesses he has “unfinished business” with contender Jorge Masvidal and division champ Kamaru Usman after his fist fight with the former and first fight with the latter ahead of UFC Las Vegas 21.

READ MORE: ‘Unacceptable & heartbreaking’: British UFC superstar Leon Edwards has his say on Royal racism row after Harry & Meghan interview

Brit Edwards will make his octagon return after 20 months out against Chicago-based Palestinian Belal Muhammad, a late replacement for Covid-stricken original opponent Khamzat Chimaev, this Saturday, but admits he has unresolved issues with baddest motherf*cker belt holder Masvidal after their back stage brawl in London.

Masvidal broke away from a live interview after his UFC Fight Night 147 knockout win over Darren Till to answer Edwards’ trash talk with a ‘3-piece and a soda’ punch combination that left the Kingston-born fighter cut below the eye, and Edwards believes their business has been unresolved.

Asked if he had unfinished business with Masvidal and welterweight division champion Kamaru Usman in an interview with RT Sport, the 29-year-old replied:“100 percent.”

He continued: “I’ve been pushing for the Jorge fight since that incident happened. He turned me down, making excuses. But his day will come.

“We’re pushing towards him. After this fight, we’ll look to Usman. But Jorge will happen, inside the cage or outside the cage. No matter what.”

Usman and Masvidal could fight towards the end of this year as the Nigerian champ aims to stamp out any doubt about his win over the latino in July last year by given Masvidal a full training camp. Asked about his preferred victor in that matchup, Edwards replied with a laugh: “Neither of them.”

READ MORE: Is Khamzat Chimaev retiring? Here’s what we know after Dana White dismisses ‘super-emotional’ undefeated star’s retirement post

Edwards takes his eight-fight win streak into his fight with Muhammad, promising to take his frustrations out “on Belal’s head” after suffering three cancellations of his fight with Russian-born Swedish fighter Khamzat Chimaev when both contracted Covid-19.

UFC head honcho has promised Edwards a title shot against Usman should he win in style against Muhammad, which will mean a rematch against Usman, the man who handed him his only career loss when they fought in 2015.

RT

Presented by
RT.com

Jurgen Klopp sends Michael Edwards clear transfer message on mass summer overhaul

But Klopp is up for the challenge and believes his squad are capable of putting their dreadful form behind them.

“We are still Liverpool, and that is what I love what I know, and that of course gives me energy, so I am not here only for the big celebrations, no I am here for the work,” Klopp added.

“And if it is the dirty work, the hard work, no problem.

“We will try everything this season, but however, there are so many things we can learn from it.

“So what we go through now, we have to sort problems now, immediately, and in the long term we can get the benefit of what we are going through in the moment, that is clear.”

Daily Express :: Sport Feed