Tag Archives: eyed

England star Jadon Sancho to get Romania shot to prove Man Utd right as £80m transfer eyed

Jadon SanchoEngland‘s half-forgotten man – will be sent out against Romania and given the best part of 90 minutes to remind fans there is life outside the Premier League.

The 21-year-old has started just one game of football in England in the last 18 months – the 3-0 international friendly win against the Republic of Ireland in November in which he scored.

He was still recovering with a thigh-injury when the rest of this Dortmund team faced his former club Manchester City at the Etihad in the Champions League in April.

So, as far as the majority of the short-sighted English public is concerned, he might just as well have not existed.

It is a state even Gareth Southgate has picked up on this week, with Atletico Madrid’s Kieran Trippier similarly afflicted.

Download Express Sport’s free Euro 2020 wall chart by clicking here

“You know, we, of course, are a bit myopic,” Southgate said. “That’s why people don’t talk about Kieran Trippier, because he’s playing in Spain.

“He’s won La Liga, he’s been voted in the team of the season, nobody mentions him. Other leagues have very good players as well.”

Certainly Sancho is one of them as far as the Bundesliga is concerned.

The illness that ruled him out of taking part in Wednesday night’s tepid 1-0 win against Austria has cleared up and he is back in training at Rockliffe Hall ahead of being given another elusive start on home soil against Romania.

Like Trippier, he will be looking to build on a hugely successful, but largely unheralded, season of club football.

But while fans in this country may have been busy watching the Premier League, at the same time the Premier League was just as busy watching Sancho.

Manchester United have long been linked with a big-money move for a player who developed his skills on the blue half of the city before deciding his options would be too limited among such stellar team-mates.

Eight goals and 11 more assists came mainly in an explosive second half to the season, meaning he has been directly involved in 52 goals in his last 59 games.

However, back in the autumn when he last pulled on a Three Lions shirt, he was less convincing.

“Jadon Sancho is not doing it for me – he’s doing it for Dortmund, not for England,” said Chris Waddle, second in the European footballer of the year with Marseille, but another perhaps not quite as appreciated back home while he was lighting up the continent.

With Harry Kane a shoo-in for one of the three forward positions for the opening game against Croatia, Raheem Sterling, Phil Foden, Marcus Rashford and Jack Grealish might all hope to join him, with Bukayo Saka using Wednesday’s game to put in an impressive bid of his own.

In reality, Sancho may just have these 90 minutes effectively to make his mark.

Author:
This post originally appeared on Daily Express :: Sport Feed

Futures rise as growth stocks bounce, economic data eyed

Futures rise as growth stocks bounce, economic data eyed© Reuters. FILE PHOTO: The front facade of the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) is seen in New York City, U.S., May 4, 2021. REUTERS/Brendan McDermid

By Shreyashi Sanyal

(Reuters) – U.S. stock index futures edged higher on Wednesday as growth stocks bounced from a steep sell-off in the previous session, while investors awaited data on private jobs growth and service sector activity in April.

Megacap technology-related companies including Apple Inc (NASDAQ:), Microsoft Corp (NASDAQ:), Amazon.com Inc (NASDAQ:), Facebook Inc (NASDAQ:) and Alphabet (NASDAQ:) Inc rose between 0.3% and 0.9% in premarket trading.

Value stocks, that stand to benefit more from economic recovery, also gained, with oil major Chevron Corp (NYSE:) adding 1.3%, lender Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE:) up 0.7% and heavy machinery maker Caterpillar Inc (NYSE:) gaining 0.3%.

The value index has risen 15.1% so far in the year, while its growth counterpart is up 7.1%.

U.S. Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen said on Tuesday she sees no inflation problem brewing, downplaying earlier comments that rate hikes may be needed to stop the economy overheating as President Joe Biden’s spending plans boost growth.

The initial comments made by Yellen deepened a sell-off in tech stocks on Tuesday.

Market participants are now awaiting monthly jobs data from payrolls processor ADP, which is expected to show additions of 800,000 last month, compared to 517,000 job additions in March.

A more comprehensive reading in the form of the Labor Department’s non-farm payrolls data is due Friday.

Also on the radar is the Institute for Supply Management’s non-manufacturing purchasing managers’ index, which is expected to show a slight rise in April from March.

At 7:06 a.m. ET, were up 77 points, or 0.23%, were up 14 points, or 0.34%, and were up 68.75 points, or 0.51%.

Ride-hailing company Lyft Inc (NASDAQ:) rose 5.9% after it surprised Wall Street with significantly lower losses than expected.

Rival Uber Technologies (NYSE:) Inc is set to report earnings after markets close on Wednesday.

T-Mobile US (NASDAQ:) Inc gained 2.4% as it raised its full-year postpaid subscriber net additions forecast.

X: Therefore doesn`t .

Author: Reuters
This post originally appeared on Stock Market News

Real Madrid transfer plan as Bale sale eyed to fund Mbappe and Haaland

Real Madrid will look to offload numerous first-team players including Gareth Bale and Raphael Varane in order to fund bids for Kylian Mbappe and Erling Haaland, according to reports in Spain.

Los Blancos – who sit second in La Liga – remain in pursuit of a double this season after reaching the Champions League semi-finals with a 3-1 aggregate victory over Liverpool.

But Santiago Bernabeu chiefs have already turned their attention to the summer transfer window, when they hope to reinforce Zinedine Zidane’s squad with marquee signings.

Real Madrid are long-term admirers of Borussia Dortmund ace Erling Haaland and Paris Saint-Germain forward Kylian Mbappe – and they are planning on making bids for both stars.

Zidane hopes to free up transfer funds by offloading Bale
Zidane hopes to free up transfer funds by offloading Bale

That’s according to Marca , which claims the Spanish giants are willing to make offers for both superstars-in-the-making so long as their clubs will entertain transfer talks.

The report adds Haaland and Mbappe have expressed an interest in joining Real Madrid, although it seems highly unlikely the club will be able to finance two huge-money bids this summer due to their debts which total £770million.

Long-serving players Marcelo and Isco are free to leave
Long-serving players Marcelo and Isco are free to leave

Can Real Madrid pull off transfers for Haaland and Mbappe? Have your say in the comments.

Los Blancos have already pursued a cut-price option by reportedly agreeing terms to sign David Alaba at the expiry of his Bayern Munich contract this summer.

And they are resigned to needing to sell players to make room in the squad and free up funds for transfers.

The report in the Madrid-based newspaper claims Gareth Bale – currently on loan at Tottenham – is one of many players who is free to leave.

Elsewhere, Manchester United-linked Raphael Varane could depart for a fee in the region of €70million (£61m).

Get the latest news straight into your inbox!

It has been a hectic season so far – so make sure you don’t miss a single thing by signing up for the brilliant new Mirror Football newsletter!

All the latest transfer news and big stories will land straight into your inbox. You won’t miss out.

To sign up, put your email at the top of this article or follow the instructions on this link.

Bale has wages of £600,000 per week, while fellow big-earners Marcelo and Isco are also surplus to requirements.

The same goes for fringe players Alvaro Odriozola, Mariano Diaz and Luka Jovic.

But there are some players Real Madrid consider untouchable, including Thibaut Courtois, Casemiro, Toni Kroos and Karim Benzema.

Martin Odegaard – currently on loan at Arsenal – will also stay, alongside his fellow talented youngsters Vinicius Junior, Federico Valverde and Rodrygo.

Sign up to the Mirror Football email here for the latest news and transfer gossip.

[email protected] (Freddie Keighley)

This article originally appeared on Mirror – Football

Ronnie O'Sullivan and Judd Trump sent John Higgins warning as Stephen Hendry record eyed

John Higgins has sights set on winning April’s World Snooker Championship as he looks to deny Ronnie O’Sullivan the chance to match Stephen Hendry’s modern era tally of seven triumphs, with world No 1 Judd Trump also looking to build on his sole 2019 victory.
The Worlds are snooker’s biggest prize with O’Sullivan a six-time Crucible champion after getting the better of Kyren Wilson 18-8 to net the £500,000 winnings last year.

The 45-year-old, a record 37-time ranking title winner, is plotting to claim back-to-back triumphs at the tournament for the second time in his career after 2012 and 2013.

O’Sullivan has only ever lost one final at the Worlds having been bettered by Mark Selby in 2014 though still finds himself behind the great Hendry.

Top-ranked Trump, meanwhile, is looking to build on his 2019 victory over Higgins in the Triple Crown tournament having been challenged by O’Sullivan in January to go on and win 60 to 70 ranking titles given his quality and his age, at just 31.

Higgins, meanwhile, is a four-time Worlds winner but lost three successive finals between 2017 and 2019 to Selby, Mark Williams and Trump.

The 45-year-old Scot became the oldest ranking title winner since Doug Mountjoy in 1989 by beating O’Sullivan in the Players Championship final in Milton Keynes on Sunday.

Higgins was imperious throughout the entire week and dropped just four frames across his four matches, three of which came in his 10-3 victory of long-time rival O’Sullivan on the final day.

Now, the 31-time ranking title winner is plotting a fifth success at snooker’s most prestigious tournament next month – and has warned O’Sullivan, Trump and co. that he’s feeling more confident than he has in the last few years despite his recent finals appearances.

“This is the best week so far in my career, but to win the Worlds for a fifth time, that would obviously top it,” Higgins declared.

“It’s going to be really difficult but listen, I’m going there now in a better frame of mind than I’ve done in previous years, so that’s a good thing.

“I think it must have [sent a message]. I was maybe a player in the last couple of years that the top boys would come against thinking, ‘well if he plays well he’s got a chance but if he doesn’t play well I can knock him over pretty easy.’

“So this must let everybody know that I’m still a contender.”

And he said after losing to Higgins: “To be honest with you, as long as I keep pitching up playing, all you can do is just do your best.

“If your best is good enough to only get you to finals then you have to accept that. Hopefully one week I’ll get it right on the final day and hopefully get a trophy.

“But you can’t be too disappointed. There’s 126 players that would swap positions with me at the moment. You’ve got to take some positives from it.

“John was unbelievable this week, fantastic, played brilliant snooker, masterclass today and it’s good to see such a great player back winning.

“It’s good for snooker, that you don’t see very often. I’m happy for John and his family.”

King of the Crucible Hendry, who dominated in the 1990s with five straight successes between 1992 and 1996, is meanwhile plotting a return to his favourite venue this year after his snooker comeback.

The 52-year-old returns to the table for the first time in nine years at the Gibraltar Open at the Marshall Arena in Milton Keynes, an event from which O’Sullivan and Higgins have withdrawn after their Players Championship final.

Hendry is not coming out of retirement merely for the fun of it however and is desperate to play at the Worlds once more.

“I lost 13-2 to Steve Maguire and I basically gave up about a third of the way through the match,” said Hendry looking back at the 2012 quarter-finals of the World Championships.

“I knew it was over. I knew I couldn’t compete. I would like my last match at the Crucible, if possible, to be a match I can look back on and think, ‘I played well, I did everything I could even if I lost’.

“I want a game where I can be happy with what I gave rather than that 13-2 embarrassment. One of my goals in this comeback is not about winning, but just to get back to the Crucible.

“I am going to have to win four matches [in qualifying] just to get there, almost a mini tournament, so it’s going to be so, so difficult. But there’s no point in setting yourself easy goals.”