Tag Archives: FIFA

FIFA evacuates female footballers from Afghanistan

FIFA has secured the evacuation of 100 refugees from Afghanistan, among them members of the national women’s football team.

Sky Sports News has been told that the group, which travelled from Afghanistan’s capital Kabul to Doha, Qatar on Thursday, includes at least 20 national women’s team footballers.

Football’s world governing body has been working closely with the Qatar government to secure a safe evacuation since August.

Individuals on the flight were deemed to be at the highest risk of harm if they had remained in Afghanistan, and FIFA is working closely on the process of evacuating further athletes in the future.

The hardline Taliban group regained control of the central Asian state in August following the withdrawal of western forces, raising concerns over the welfare of womenin general in the country, and over the future of women’s sport.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Afghanistan captain Shabnam Mobarez described seeing her team-mates evacuated from the country as a ‘dream come true’, but is concerned about those left behind.

Afghanistan Women captain Shabnam Mobarez has spoken to some of her team-mates who were evacuated to Australia after the Taliban seized control two months ago, and she told Sky Sports News that “it’s almost like [football] is over” for Afghan women.

Speaking to Sky News, Danish footballer Nadia Nadim, whose father was killed by the Taliban, says she doesn’t believe the group’s promises that women and girls will be able to work and receive an education.

Reflecting on what the Taliban’s takeover could mean for women’s football, she said: “That’s a hard one. I don’t know what to say to them because I know they’re not going to have the opportunity.

“I don’t know whether girls will be able to go to school, to work. I want to say that people should try to keep their hopes up even though it really looks like a dark situation.”

Read more here SkySports | News

FIFA investigates after NWSL coach sexual misconduct allegations

FIFA’s judicial bodies have opened an investigation into allegations of sexual misconduct against coach Paul Riley as this weekend’s National Women’s Soccer League (NWSL) games were postponed.

North Carolina Courage, who play in the United States’ top women’s league, sacked English-born coach Riley on Thursday after allegations of sexual misconduct towards female players were made public.

The claims were made following an investigation by The Athletic, who spoke to more than a dozen players Riley had coached since 2010, including two – Sinead Farrelly and Mana Shim – who went on the record to detail Riley’s pattern of behaviour.

Riley, 58, who has coached women’s teams since 2006, has denied the accusations.

“Due to the severity and seriousness of the allegations being made by players, we can confirm that FIFA’s judicial bodies are actively looking into the matter and have opened a preliminary investigation,” FIFA said in a statement to the Associated Press.

“As part of this, FIFA will be reaching out to the respective parties, including US Soccer and NWSL, for further information about the various safeguarding concerns and allegations of abuse that have been raised.”

Paul Riley (AP)
Image:
Riley had been in charge at North Carolina Courage since 2017

U.S. Soccer suspended Riley’s coaching license following the report by The Athletic.

“When it comes to misconduct in football,” FIFA said, “we would like to reiterate that FIFA’s position is clear: anyone found guilty of misconduct and abuse in football shall be brought to justice, sanctioned and removed from the game.

“FIFA takes any allegation of misconduct reported to it extremely seriously and will continue to cooperate together with the relevant national and international authorities on any allegation or report that is made in confidence to FIFA about abuse or misconduct in football.”

Earlier on Friday, NWSL commissioner Lisa Baird said she took “full responsibility for the role I have played” and the decision to call off the games this weekend was made with the players’ association.

High-profile USA internationals including Megan Rapinoe and Alex Morgan claimed previous allegations against Riley had not been investigated properly and that the league was failing to protect its own players.

“I am so sorry for the pain so many are feeling,” said Baird in a statement.

“Recognizing that trauma, we have decided not to take the field this weekend to give everyone some space to reflect. Business as usual isn’t our concern right now.

“Our entire league has a great deal of healing to do, and our players deserve so much better.

“We have made this decision in collaboration with our players association and this pause will be the first step as we collectively work to transform the culture of this league, something that is long overdue.”

Riley led the Courage to NWSL championship titles in 2018 and 2019.

Read more here SkySports | News