Tag Archives: harassment

Noel Clarke accused of ruining Kidulthood co-star Adam career

Author: Amanda Devlin
This post originally appeared on Showbiz – The Scottish Sun

NOEL Clarke was previously accused of ruining the career of his Kidulthood co-star Adam Deacon.

The former friends fell out over Clarke’s claims Deacon had “infringed on the copyright of his movies” by calling his new film Anuvahood.

Noel Clarke was accused of sabotaging Adam Deacon's career

4

Noel Clarke was accused of sabotaging Adam Deacon’s career

He later accused Deacon of sending him abusive messages online and took him to court in 2015, reports the Mirror.

Deacon was found guilty of harassment after he was accused of inciting people to hurt him.

The 38-year-old was also handed a restraining order and ordered to pay £500.

Last night Deacon posted a message on Instagram, which read: “Karma. No need for revenge. Just sit back and wait. Those who hurt you eventually screw up themselves and if you are lucky, god will let you watch.”

Deacon shared this message in the aftermath of the allegations against Clarke

4

Deacon shared this message in the aftermath of the allegations against Clarke

They had worked together on Kidulthood and Adulthood before Deacon started work on a new film.

Clarke said he supported the film – but warned he couldn’t use the title Anuvahood.

The pair ended up in court after Deacon’s fans began sending Clarke abuse – with a gun emoji on a picture of his children.

Deacon denied harassing Clarke and instead claimed he was sabotaging his career.

Clarke has been accused of sexual misconduct by 20 women

4

Clarke has been accused of sexual misconduct by 20 womenCredit: Getty

He insisted Clarke didn’t want him to “step out of his shadow” and claimed the 45-year-old “would bully and belittle me on set in front of people — it would be a constant thing”.

Speaking in court in 2015, Clarke said: “I supported him with that [contract] as long as he didn’t call that film Anuvahood which is what he did.

“Since that point we haven’t spoken every now and again I would receive a barrage of abuse but essentially nothing massive happened until 2014 when I started getting massive abuse every time I opened my [Twitter] account to see people calling me a bully.

“He released a barrage of abuse in a blog for on Instagram claiming I’d been bullying him for as long as he could remember and claiming I had stopped him getting an agent in the business.

“None of these things were true in any way, shape or form, but things just continued from there.

Deacon was found guilty of harassment against Clarke in 2015

4

Deacon was found guilty of harassment against Clarke in 2015Credit: PA:Press Association

“Many of his fans believed the lies and were abusing me via Twitter.”

On Thursday night it was revealed Clarke has been accused of a range of acts following a Guardian investigation – including sharing sexually explicit pictures and videos without consent.

A total of 20 women have made allegations of this nature against the actor, who is married to Portuguese wife Iris Da Silva .

Mr Clarke says he is “deeply sorry” and is “seeking professional help” – but “vehemently denies any sexual misconduct or wrongdoing”.

He said: “In a 20-year career, I have put inclusivity and diversity at the forefront of my work and never had a complaint made against me.

“If anyone who has worked with me has ever felt uncomfortable or disrespected, I sincerely apologise.

“I vehemently deny any sexual misconduct or wrongdoing and intend to defend myself against these false allegations.”

Noel Clarke says he is ‘deeply’ sorry but denies sexual misconduct

Noel Clarke suspended by Bafta following sexual harassment allegations

Author:
This post originally appeared on Daily Express :: Celebrity News Feed

Just weeks after he collected his Bafta for Outstanding Contribution, Noel Clarke has been suspended by the organisation. This comes after allegations of sexual misconduct against the Bulletproof actor between 2004 and 2019.

Clarke was presented the award for outstanding British contribution to cinema on April 10.

In a statement, Bafta said: “In light of the allegations of serious misconduct regarding Noel Clarke in The Guardian, BAFTA has taken the decision to suspend his membership and the Outstanding British Contribution to Cinema award immediately and until further notice.”

This follows an investigation by the Guardian which saw Clarke accused of groping, harassment and bullying by 20 women.

Clarke has categorically denied the allegations from all 20 women.

READ MORE: Viewpoint star Noel Clarke admits filming new ITV drama was ‘lonely’

He said in a statement: “In a 20-year career, I have put inclusivity and diversity at the forefront of my work and never had a complaint made against me.

“If anyone who has worked with me has ever felt uncomfortable or disrespected, I sincerely apologise.

“I vehemently deny any sexual misconduct or wrongdoing and intend to defend myself against these false allegations.”

Express.co.uk has reached out to Clarke’s reps for a comment on the allegations and his Bafta suspension.

He then starred as Sam in the popular film Kidulthood, and its sequels Adulthood and Brotherhood, which he wrote and directed.

Alongside his producing partner Ashley Walters, he also plays Aaron Bishop in the Sky series Bulletproof.

He wrote this with Top Boy star Walters and it recently returned for its latest series at the start of the year.

Other projects Clarke has appeared in include Star Trek Into Darkness, I Kill Giants, Mute and SAS: Red Notice.

Google workers petition to bar those accused of harassment from management

Google workers launched a petition Friday[1] calling for the company to bar employees who have harassment claims against them from managing others. 

“No harasser should manage or lead a team — whether directly or indirectly — including dotted line reports or managing temps, vendors, or contractors,” the petition states.

The document, signed by more than 500 employees as of Friday afternoon, also calls for Google to force any employees with verified claims of harassment to change teams so that workers are not forced to work with their alleged harassers.

ADVERTISEMENT

“HR already has a process in place for romantic relationships that could create potential workplace problems. They should use that same process. Alphabet has stricter policies around consensual relationships than they do for harassment,” the petition states. 

The petition was launched a couple of days after Emi Nietfeld, a former Google engineer, alleged in The New York Times that she was forced to work directly with her alleged harasser, sitting next to him and having one-on-one meetings, after filing a complaint with human resources.

The workers who launched the petition said the behavior is part of a “long pattern where Alphabet protects the harasser instead of protecting the person harmed by the harassment.” 

“The person who reports harassment is forced to bear the burden, usually leaving Alphabet while their harasser stays or is rewarded for their behavior,” the petition states. 

In response to the petition, a spokesperson for Google said the company is “deeply aware of the importance of this issue” and noted the company’s “significant improvements” on its process to investigate claims. 

The spokesperson’s statement, however, did not directly respond to the petition’s demands. 

ADVERTISEMENT

“We work to support and protect people who report concerns, thoroughly investigate all claims and take firm actions against substantiated allegations,” the spokesperson said in a statement. [2]

“We’ve made significant improvements to our overall process, including the way we handle and investigate employee concerns, and introducing new care programs for employees who report concerns. Reporting misconduct takes courage and we’ll continue our work to improve our processes and support for the people who do.” 

This is not the first time Google workers have taken action to demand change on sexual harassment. 

In November 2018 more than 20,000 Google employees and contractors worldwide walked out in an effort to push for change on sexual harassment and misconduct. The petition states that Google did not meet the demands pushed for in the 2018 walkout.

References

  1. ^ launched a petition Friday (stopprotectingharassers.medium.com)
  2. ^ thoroughly investigate all claims (services.google.com)

[email protected] (Rebecca Klar)

Space Jam 2: Pepe Le Pew 'axed from movie after sexual harassment scenes detailed’

The sexually aggressive skunk, Pepe Le Pew, was one of Warner Bros’ most recognisable characters in the Looney Tunes franchise. Most recently the character appeared on the silver screen in the original Space Jam movie in 1997 and the 2003 movie Looney Tunes: Back in Action. The French skunk was originally supposed to be in Space Jam 2: A New Legacy in a scene with actor Greice Santo, who was going to be sexually harassed by the character before hitting him.
According to Deadline, Pepe was an integral part of the movie because he knew the whereabouts of Lola Bunny. The film’s lead, LeBron James, paid Pepe a visit with Bug Bunny for the information.

The publication detailed the scene saying: “Pepe was set to appear in a black-and-white Casablanca-like Rick’s Cafe sequence.

“Pepe, playing a bartender, starts hitting on a woman at the bar played by Santo. He begins kissing her arm, which she pulls back, then [slams] Pepe into the chair next to hers.

“She then pours her drink on Pepe, and slaps him hard, sending him spinning in a stool, which is then stopped by LeBron James’ hand.”

READ MORE: Warner Bros ‘censor’ Lola Bunny – Space Jam fans furious at redesign

Pepe would then tell LeBron and Bugs Bunny that Penelope Cat – his reluctant love interest from the cartoon series – had filed a “restraining order” against him.

The report added: “[LeBron] James makes a remark in the script that Pepe can’t grab other Tunes without their consent.”

Pepe Le Pew’s return to screen follows the #MeToo push in Hollywood which started in 2006. The movement included a collection of actresses speaking up about the injustices they had experienced over the years in the film industry.

Pepe’s scene was apparently filmed by the Space Jam 2’s first director, Terence Nance.

The spokesperson continued: “Even though Pepe is a cartoon character, if anyone was going to slap a sexual harasser like him, Greice wished it would be her.

“Now the scene is cut, and she doesn’t have that power to influence the world through younger generations who’ll be watching Space Jam 2, to let younger girls and younger boys know that Pepe’s behaviour is unacceptable.”

Santo previously spoke up about her own experiences with sexual harassment and encouraged other actors to join her in condemning it.

Last week Space Jam 2 hit headlines when it was revealed Lola Bunny’s design had changed drastically.

The animated character’s curves had been flattened and was shown wearing baggier clothes.

Lola Bunny was originally drawn in a sexualised manner by the Space Jam animators to avoid her looking like a “tomboy”.

Animator Tony Cervon commented in 1997: “We kind of pumped her up more in the feminine attributes department.”

Director of Space Jam 2, Lee, commented on the redesign, saying: “This is 2021. It’s important to reflect the authenticity of strong, capable female characters.”

Space Jam 2 A New Legacy is due for release on July 23, 2021 on HBO Max.

SOURCE

Sources: Washington Football pauses cheerleading program; director removed from position amid NFL's sexual harassment investigation

The director’s removal is not a direct move due to the NFL’s investigation, according to team sources, but part of a larger re-branding effort for the team.

WASHINGTON — The Washington Football cheerleading program has been put on pause effective immediately and will be re-branded. 
Sources tell WUSA9’s Darren Haynes this is part of a larger rebranding effort to make changes in the fan experience for the franchise.
These changes mean Washington Cheerleading Director Jamilla Keene has been removed from her position. Washington’s cheerleaders were told Monday about the move by the team, said sources. 
This information of the cheerleading program comes four days after NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said that attorney Beth Wilkinson is “nearing the completion” of her investigation into the Washington Football Team over allegations of sexual harassment and mistreatment of female employees.
Keene’s removal is not a direct move due to the NFL’s investigation, according to team sources.
Officials with the team say they are re-envisioning the program and are going to take the team to another form. The team is bringing in a consultant who has worked with rebranding.
Code and Theory will work with the Washington Football Team as part of the team’s change in the redesign of the off the field experience for fans, according to a statement in the press release on brading and off-field experiences for fans.
Code and Theory had previously partnered with the team in the development of the Washington Football Team interim branding for the 2020-2021 season.
“The time is right to reimagine our entire gameday experience to reinvent it in a way that reflects our modern identity and aligns with what today’s fan seeks. Coach Rivera has done an incredible job on the field. We will elevate our off-the-field product to match.” said Jason Wright, President of the Washington Football Team, in the statement.
The National Football League took over the internal investigation into sexual harassment allegations within the Washington Football Team’s operations back in September 2020. 
The allegations were first broken by the Washington Post earlier this summer and came on the heels of the team abandoning its controversial logo and nickname, which had been used since 1933. 
RELATED: Washington Post: 15 women allege sexual harassment, verbal abuse while employed by Washington NFL team
Fifteen women say they were sexually harassed and verbally abused while they worked for Washington’s NFL team over the last 15 years, according to the Post’s reporting. 
Three of the employees with allegations made against them abruptly resigned or were fired, including longtime radio broadcaster Larry Michael, who retired, and the team’s director of pro personnel, Alex Santos, who was fired.
(A previous version of this story said Carnival Cruise is working with the Washington Football Team. Code and Theory is the company working with the team.)

RELATED: Washington NFL harassment allegations: ‘Unacceptable just barely scratches the surface’ | Reese’s Final Thought
RELATED: VERIFY: Can Dan Snyder lose ownership of his team based on current NFL bylaws?
Download the brand-new WUSA9 app here.
Sign up for the Get Up DC newsletter: Your forecast. Your commute. Your news.