Tag Archives: hospital

Bill Turnbull inundated with support amid rare photo in hospital 'Can I get out of here?'

Bill Turnbull took to Twitter to upload a rare photo while at the hospital today. The former BBC Breakfast presenter, who was diagnosed with incurable prostate cancer in 2017, shared a candid message in view of his 101,000 followers.

The 65-year-old could be seen with a drip in his arm as he took a selfie during his treatment.

The Classic FM DJ joked that he was unsure of when he will be released, but hoped that it would be in time for the England football match at Euro 2020.

Bill penned: “Today’s big question – can I get out of here and home in time for kickoff? Thanks for everything, @royalmarsdenNHS.”

Fans flocked to comment on the post, as social media users offered their well wishes to the presenter.

READ MORE: TV chef Lorraine Pascale drops surprise wedding news

“I do yoga every day, I meditate, I watch my diet and do everything I can to stay positive.”

Bill, who is described as Wycombe Wanderers’ most famous supporter, said that living with cancer “can be a burden” – but that football has provided some valuable relief.

“When you have cancer, it’s with you all day every day,” he said.

He added that watching his favourite team kept his mind off his health.

Bill explained: “I was so absorbed in the game, so excited I completely forgot it.

“That’s what happens in games, you get swept away in the excitement of it, win, lose or draw. And that’s a wonderful relief.”

Earlier this year, Bill reunited with his former Breakfast co-host Susanna Reid on Good Morning Britain.

It comes after Piers Morgan stepped down from his presenting gig in March.

Author:
This post originally appeared on Daily Express :: Celebrity News Feed

London stabbing horror as woman rushed to hospital with slash wounds after Barking fight

Officers and paramedics found a woman with a stab wound and slash marks across her arms in an alleged fight, which happened on Sunday. Police were called to London Road at around 3.50am. A 32-year-old man was also found with injuries. Police confirmed the injuries were not life-threatening.

A Met Police spokesperson said: “Both were taken to a hospital in east London where their injuries were deemed to be non-life-threatening and non-life-changing.”

The woman, who is also aged 32, was arrested on suspicion of affray after she was released from hospital.

A 33-year-old woman, who was also taken to hospital, was arrested on suspicion of affray after being discharged.

Police confirmed her injuries were also not life-threatening.

Both women have since been released under investigation as police urge people to contact them with more information.

Earlier this month, the London borough saw a wave of crime after three men were found stabbed following reports of a brawl in Dagenham.

One man, who was in his 40s, suffered a stab injury to his leg while another had a slash wound to his face.

A third man was also found suffering from stab wounds to his back following the brawl at the corner of Barnmead Road and Fanshaw Crescent.

READ MORE: London stabbing horror as boy, 15, rushed to hospital

“Police cordons remain at the location as a painstaking forensic examination gets underway.

“The victim’s mother has been to the scene and has met with officers.

“She and other family members will be provided with ongoing support, and my heart goes out to her as she faces up to the first day of the rest of her life without her son.

“I can assure her, and indeed all Londoners, of my total commitment to finding the person or persons responsible for this murder and bringing them to justice.”

On Saturday, a 26-year-old man died after being stabbed during an illegal rave in South Bermondsey.

Police were called to Stockholm Road, next to Millwall Football Club, where an “unlicensed music event had been taking place”.

London Ambulance Service also attended the scene and found a man suffering stab injuries but despite efforts from paramedics, he was pronounced dead at the scene.

A 16-year-old boy was also found with head injuries but his condition is not believed to be life-threatening.

Author:
This post originally appeared on Daily Express :: UK Feed

Woman in hospital after kids throw rocks at her windscreen on bypass

Shona Nelson, 49, suffered a panic attack and vomiting after the mindless yobs on a bridge targeted her Peugeot 107. It happened on a busy dual-carriageway on Shona’s way home from a shopping trip in Lincoln on Tuesday evening.

The incident left eight marks on the glass.

Speaking to Lincolnshire Live, the mum of two said: “It [the car] looks like a shotgun has shot it.

“It shocked me as obviously I didn’t expect to drive under the bridge and have that happen to me.

“I was very lucky when I look back and see it.

“A lot of my friends have commented that I was very lucky that nothing serious happened and that I didn’t crash my car.

“I think I was so shocked at what happened. I remember screaming and thinking oh my god, what has hit my car.

“We saw the rocks on the road and we realised children had been seen running away from the bridge.”

Shona, a legal secretary, completed her three-mile journey to her home in Cherry Willingham, Lincolnshire.

But she began hyper ventilating and called for an ambulance.

She added: “They had to call an ambulance out because I was so bad they had to admit me to A+E.

“I had to be blue lighted because they thought at first I had a bleed on my brain because I was that bad with all the tests that the paramedics did at my house.

“I had to have an emergency CT-scan.”

Shona is now back at home, having recovered in hospital.

The mum has shared details of her ordeal on social media in the hope that those responsible realise the full extent of what they did.

She said: “I think it needs to be alerted. You just can’t do this.

“It is so dangerous and I look back and I think I was so lucky.

“My sons only passed their tests a week ago. Imagine if it happened to them and they crashed, it would have been frightening.

“I am hoping the children will see what damage they have done to my car and I hope that word of mouth will make them realise they should have never have done that.”

The driver says the incident has been reported to Lincolnshire Police but the force says it is not aware of a report being made.

Author:
This post originally appeared on Daily Express :: UK Feed

Dragons' Den star Deborah Meaden slams critics after sparking concern from hospital bed

Deborah Meaden, who stars on Dragons’ Den, reacted to a Twitter user after they addressed her recent injury. The 62-year-old revealed she had fractured her wrist after attempting to mount the steed of her horse without a block but admitted “she couldn’t”.

Taking to the micro-blogging site, Deborah posted a photo from her hospital bed, smiling widely as she showed off her plaster cast as the businesswoman heaped praise on the NHS.

In view of her 450,000 followers, she penned: “I know you know but our #NHS is blooming brilliant. Went in with a fractured wrist. Several x rays,manipulation under painkillers with a reassuring voice in my ear and I leave with plastercast and wrist on the mend. Here with Becky and @Lowri_punc19 thankyouxxx.” [sic]

However, a social media user took aim at the entrepreneur as they questioned how the Dragon’s Den star was able to receive treatment so quickly.

The person in question wrote: “The NHS is amazing but I struggle to understand how you have had this procedure done in one day when a man recently on the news with a triple hernia which stops him working has been told it will be two years before his operation. My question is why?”

READ MORE: Eamonn Holmes ‘can’t bear’ BBC Breakfast host’s habit

The Dragon’s Den star fired back: “Good because I wasn’t supposed to be wearing one.”

Meanwhile, celebrity pals and fans alike offered their well wishes to Deborah as they wished her a speedy recovery.

Theo Paphitis wrote: “A speedy recovery to you Deborah – you look like you’re in safe hands.”

GB News presenter Simon McCoy penned: “Wishing you well.”

Labour MP Jess Phillips commented: “Oh no, although tbf you look pretty cheerful. Hope it heals quickly.”

Deborah replied: “Thank you… although that may just be the painkillers. They strong!”

Meanwhile, it was recently announced that Deborah and her Dragon’s Den co-stars would be joined by a newcomer on the BBC series, after Tej Lalvani departed the programme.

Entrepreneur Steven Bartlett made history as the youngest Dragon on the show – and revealed he had been watching the series since he was 12-years-old.

Author:
This post originally appeared on Daily Express :: Celebrity News Feed

Eriksen sends public thank you message from hospital

He says he still has to go through more tests at the hospital “but I feel okay.”

COPENHAGEN, Denmark — Christian Eriksen sent his first public message from the hospital on Tuesday, thanking supporters for their “sweet and amazing” well-wishes after his collapse at the European Championship.

Eriksen remains in the hospital after suffering cardiac arrest during Denmark’s game against Finland on Saturday, when he had to be resuscitated with a defibrillator on the field.

“Big thanks for your sweet and amazing greetings and messages from all around the world. It means a lot to me and my family,” Eriksen wrote in a message that was shared by the Danish soccer association on Twitter.

The message was accompanied by a photo of the 29-year-old Eriksen giving a thumbs up from his hospital bed.

“I’m fine – under the circumstances,” he added. “I still have to go through some examinations at the hospital, but I feel okay. Now, I will cheer on the boys on the Denmark team in the next matches. Play for all of Denmark.”

Eriksen and the rest of the Denmark players have received an outpouring of support from all over the world since Saturday’s incident, including from fans of rival teams.

Denmark coach Kasper Hjulmand said the flood of messages shows that “football is the biggest social phenomenon in the world.”

“It’s the one thing that can unite most people in the world,” Hjulmand said at a news conference on Tuesday. “It brings friendship across nations, race, gender, everything. Football is one big family. … And we see this with all this recognition we get from people all over the world.”

Denmark, which lost to Finland 1-0 after the game was resumed, next plays Belgium on Thursday in Group B. On Monday, Eriksen’s teammates said the midfielder had told them to re-focus on the tournament.

Denmark trained for a second straight day on Tuesday after taking Sunday off to process the incident. The team was visited during the training session by Danish Crown Prince Frederik, who attended Saturday’s game and was among those to send a message of support to Eriksen.

And Hjulmand said he can tell that his players are gradually getting back the right mindset to play again.

“From the start of the training (Monday) until the end of the training, I think something happened, positively,” he said. “To get your body going again and to be on the pitch knowing that Christian is OK helped us all. … Yesterday afternoon, more and more smiles were on the faces of the players.”

But he acknowledged that returning to Parken Stadium again, where the players formed a ring around Eriksen as he was getting emergency medical treatment that saved his life, will be emotionally challenging.

“I don’t think they’re afraid to play,” Hjulmand said. “But the normal reaction to a trauma like this, you should know, it’s not only yourself. It’s also your family, maybe your kids, your wife, your parents. So the box of emotions has been opened. I think we took a big step yesterday and I think we’ll take another one today.

“Of course the time until the kickoff will be emotional, and we have to prepare ourselves for that, for entering the stadium again. Getting back to see our great fans. And up to kickoff there’ll be a lot of emotions we have to handle, and then prepare ourselves for when the referee whistles his first whistle. We will be ready to go and fight and play well and do everything for Denmark.”

Author:
This post originally appeared on CBS8 – Sports

Stacey Solomon rushes youngest son Rex to hospital after 'nightmare' accident

It comes just days after Stacey shared the delightful news that she is set to become a mum again, after falling pregnant with her second child with partner Joe.

Stacey also has two sons, Zachary, 13, and Leighton, nine, from previous relationships, while Joe has a son, Harry, 13, from a previous relationship.

The Loose Women panellist, who announced her engagement news in December, has since decided to postpone her wedding day.

Stacey and Joe both agreed that they wanted their new arrival to be present when they get married.

Author:
This post originally appeared on Daily Express :: Celebrity News Feed

England fan 'seriously injured' and rushed to hospital after falling from Wembley stand

A fan was seriously injured after falling from a stand during England‘s win over Croatia at Wembley Stadium on Sunday afternoon, according to reports. Manchester City winger Raheem Sterling scored the only goal of the game during the second half to get the Three Lions off to a winning start in their Euro 2020 Group D opener.

The supporter in question reportedly tumbled down the stand towards seats and concrete barriers shortly after the match, attended by 22,500 fans, had kicked off at 2.00pm.

The individual was then treated by medics before they were swiftly rushed to hospital with serious injuries.

A Wembley Stadium spokesperson told the Evening Standard: “We can confirm that a spectator fell from the stands just after kick-off in the match between England and Croatia at Wembley Stadium.

“The spectator was given on-site medical attention and was then taken to hospital in a serious condition.

A fellow England supporter who witnessed the incident is quoted as saying: “I didn’t see it but spoke to some of the guys who did at half-time.

“They were traumatised. He fell from the balcony towards the seats and the concrete.

“I think it happened around kick-off otherwise I would have noticed. That bit of seating was cleared.”

Another added: “It seemed to take staff ages to get to him. One guy near us who saw the whole thing was crying his eyes out.”

DON’T MISS

The match saw England win their opening game at a European Championship for the first time in 10 attempts thanks to Sterling’s goal shortly before the hour mark.

Both sides enjoyed a decent number of chances during a tight encounter, but Southgate’s side emerged on top to finally seal revenge over Croatia, who knocked the Three Lions out of the World Cup three years ago in the semi-finals.

The England boss singled out Sterling and Kalvin Phillips for special praise after the final whistle and suggested that his team ultimately deserved to come away with the spoils.

“I think that Kalvin is a player who is so understated and who has had a fantastic start to his international career,” Southgate told the BBC after the Three Lions’ win. 

“He was immense throughout the game, as they all were.

“I’m so pleased for Raheem. He’s had this hex, if you like, at tournaments with not being able to get a goal. 

“I thought he was dangerous with his play. Right from the start, there was a throw-in inside and he was running at their defence and he looked a threat.

“He had a big influence. He’s a good player. His goalscoring record shows that we should have faith in him, especially in the last few years.

I thought that he was motivated to show [his quality]. I’m really happy for him and for everybody.”

Author:
This post originally appeared on Daily Express :: Sport Feed

Aberdare stabbing reports as three men taken to hospital – two arrested, police say

Two men have been arrested in connection with the incident in the Whitcombe Street area of Aberdare. South Wales Police said the injured are all aged 23.

Detective Inspector Emma Hampton said: “Our officers will be working beyond this evening and into the early hours to try and ascertain further detail about this incident, however we have already made two arrests.

“We will be making extensive enquiries and I would urge members of the public to get in touch with us to provide their accounts of what they saw this evening.

“If you have any video footage of the incident then we would like you to get in touch.”

Author:
This post originally appeared on Daily Express :: UK Feed

Market Harborough stabbing: Man, 21, taken to hospital – investigation launched

He was found with stab wounds in the car park of Sainsbury’s in Market Harborough at 9.20pm and collected by Air Ambulance. Investigating officers believe he was attacked in the Britannia Walk and Nithsdale Crescent area of the town.

These areas have been cordoned off for forensic examination while inquiries continue.

Leicestershire Police has asked any witnesses – or those with useful information – to contact 101, quoting incident 662 of June 12.

Author:
This post originally appeared on Daily Express :: UK Feed

1 dead, 1 taken to the hospital after shooting in southeast Austin

AUSTIN (KXAN) — A man is dead after a shooting in southeast Austin Friday night.

The Austin Police Department said it happened just before 10:15 p.m. in the 4900 block of Todd Lane. That’s off East St. Elmo Road, south of U.S. Highway 290.

APD said while one man was pronounced dead, a woman was taken to a local hospital. Austin-Travis County EMS said she had potentially life-threatening injuries.

It’s still an active scene. APD told KXAN at last check information on a suspect isn’t available.

East St. Elmo Road and Todd Lane are closed off due to the investigation.

This is a developing story and will be updated as more details become available.

Author: Jaclyn Ramkissoon
This post originally appeared on KXAN Austin