Tag Archives: icons

Maradona medical team ‘deficient and reckless’ before football icon’s death, investigators say

Author: RT
This post originally appeared on RT Sport News

A medical board investigating the death of Diego Maradona has concluded that the team treating the Argentine football icon before his passing had acted “inappropriately,” according to reports.

Maradona died of heart failure aged 60 last November, a loss which sent his nation and the wider sporting world into deep mourning.

Recriminations have raged on regarding the treatment that the World Cup winner was receiving around the time of his death, which came just weeks after he had undergone brain surgery.

A medical board set up in Argentina to probe the death has now concluded that Maradona’s medical team were “reckless” in their care of the former Napoli and Boca Juniors icon.  

“The action of the health team in charge of treating DAM (Diego Armando Maradona) was inadequate, deficient and reckless,” said a report shared with Reuters by a source close to the investigation.

The report added that Maradona had become seriously ill around 12 hours before his death, and that “he presented unequivocal signs of a prolonged agonizing period, so we conclude that the patient was not properly monitored from 00:30 on 11/25/2020.”

Maradona’s private doctor, Leopoldo Luque, was targeted by investigators after the star’s passing, with his home and offices being raided last year as part of a probe into potential involuntary manslaughter.

Luque has denied any wrongdoing and was not charged. 

Also on rt.com Diego Maradona doctor ‘investigated for manslaughter’ as Argentine police raid home and clinic

Maradona’s family have been vocal in their calls for the circumstances of his death to be clarified, while in March, Argentines took to the streets to call for “justice for Diego” as they demanded answers as to whether negligence had been a factor.

Maradona’s ex-wife, Claudia Villafane, and two of his daughters, Dalma and Gianinna, were part of the protest.

The football star famously fought addiction to drink and drugs throughout his playing days and post-career life, although an autopsy in December revealed no traces of alcohol or narcotics in his body at the time of death – but did confirm the presence of psychotropic drugs used to treat anxiety and depression.

Maradona passed away while he was recuperating in Tigre, just outside Buenos Aires. A World Cup winner, he provided some of the most iconic moments in football history – including his famous ‘Hand of God’ and solo goals against England in their quarter-final in Mexico in 1986.

Also on rt.com Maradona daughter rages at ‘sons of b*tches’ as autopsy finds NO alcohol or narcotics in Argentine icon’s body at time of death

Monuments and memorials to the late star include Italian club Napoli remaining their stadium in his honor. Maradona enjoyed the best days of his club career in southern Italy, guided the team of gritty underdogs to a first ever Serie A in 1987 – a title they won again in 1990. Led by Maradona, the Italians also lifted the UEFA Cup in 1989.     

Presented by


RT.com

Ex-baseball star says LeBron ‘may want to move to China’ in expletive-laden tirade over NBA icon’s police-shooting tweet

Author RT
This post originally appeared on RT Sport News

NBA legend LeBron James has been savaged online by ex-baseball player Aubrey Huff, who suggested that the LA Lakers star “may want to move to China” after his controversial tweet about a US police shooting.

The abuse comes as part of backlash to a now-deleted tweet James sent out on Wednesday night.

“YOU’RE NEXT #ACCOUNTABILITY,” James wrote next to an hourglass emoji, to caption a photo of Nicholas Reardon, the Columbus Police Department officer who fatally shot 16-year-old Ma’Khia Bryant while responding to a 911 call.

Video from Reardon’s body camera showed the black teen swinging a knife at a woman before he opened fire. 

LeBron later wiped his incendiary tweet, attempting to explain himself by saying: “I’m so damn tired of seeing Black people killed by police. [And] I took the tweet down because it’s being used to create more hate

“This isn’t about one officer. It’s about the entire system and they always use our words to create more racism. I am so desperate for more ACCOUNTABILITY,” he concluded.
Also on rt.com LeBron James says he deleted veiled threat against officer in Bryant shooting because he doesn’t want to create ‘more hate’
But taking the original demands off the internet and offering an explanation weren’t enough to calm the angry mob, and James has even been attacked by other professional athletes for the outburst.

The now-retired Huff, a two-time World Series champion formerly of the San Francisco Giants, went on a rampage in scathing at Lebron through a barrage of tweets.

WARNING: STRONG LANGUAGE 

“Hey King James, go f*ck yourself for doxing a police officer for just doing his job,” started the first, which has been ‘liked’ by over 21,000 like-minded individuals.

“I’d bet if that was your son about to get stabbed you’d be singing a different tune you piece of sh*t!”

“You’re a huge reason the NBA is down 80% in viewership within the last year,” he claimed.

Attempting to draw attention to LeBron’s hypocrisy in employing a team of private security, Huff insisted that his legacy would become “irrelevant to most all Americans”.

“May want to move to China f*ck stick!,” he advised him.

Digs at LeBron’s intellect were also the order of the day, while Huff questioned Twitter’s creator why James’ name supposedly wasn’t trending but Brett Favre’s was instead, following the Derek Chauvin-related fallout. 

Signing off by poking fun at himself too, Huff suggested that his jersey “just may be more popular than a King James jersey at this point in time.”

“But that ain’t saying much,” he joked, dryly.

Presented by
RT.com

Mike Tyson ‘turns down $25mn offer to fight Evander Holyfield’ as deal for trilogy between heavyweight icons ‘falls apart’

Boxing fans hoping to see veteran legends Mike Tyson and Evander Holyfield run it back more than two decades after the pair last fought appear to have had their wishes dashed after Tyson reportedly rejected a deal for the bout.

Speculation had been mounting that Tyson, 54, and fellow former world heavyweight champion Holyfield, 58, could return to the ring this summer to finish what they started with a pair of fights in the 1990s.

Representatives for the pair are said to have been in talks since Tyson made his comeback for an exhibition contest with Roy Jones Jr last November, which was deemed a commercial success by organizers.
Also on rt.com ‘He was ROBBED’: Furious boxing fans claim Mike Tyson was deprived of victory in comeback fight with fellow legend Jones Jr
Holyfield, who last stepped into the ring competitively in 2011, had also teased fans with footage of himself in training in the hopes that he would step between the ropes with ‘Iron Mike’ once more.

But those chances now appear to have been ruined, according to an announcement by Holyfield’s team on Monday.

“We thought this was a done deal but it quickly fell apart when Tyson’s people declined all offers,” said Holyfield’s manager, Kris Lawrence.

“We were negotiating in good faith all along and it appears we just ended up wasting our time.”   

According to Holyfield’s representatives, Tyson and his team had rejected a $ 25 million guarantee to step into the ring on May 29 at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami Gardens, Florida.

Tyson appeared to indicate his frustrations over the weekend when he posted an angry message that he would never again work with Triller – the platform which put on his comeback contest with Jones Jr.

“I am a partner in Legends Only League and my next event is with my league,” Tyson wrote.  

“I will never do another event or any business with Triller so anyone misrepresenting that they own the rights to my name or my next event isn’t true. I am not with or ever will be with Triller’s Fight Club.”

Tyson still appears intent on capitalizing on the lucrative market for exhibition bouts and the clout that his name still commands among fans. 

Reports varied on how much Tyson made from dusting off his gloves against Jones Jr, but some estimates put the figure at $ 10 million. 

Interest in bout with Holyfield – with whom Tyson shared one of the most infamous episodes ever seen in a boxing ring when he bit off a chunk of his rival’s ear during their second fight in 1997 – would likely have been even higher, not least with fans returning to arenas across the US. 

However, it now appears that Tyson will have to cast his net elsewhere for his next opponent on the comeback trail.  

RT

Presented by
RT.com