Tag Archives: megafight

Anthony Joshua and Tyson Fury agree on fight site as blockbuster mega-fight edges closer

Eddie Hearn has confirmed that both Anthony Joshua and Tyson Fury have now agreed on a fight site for the undisputed heavyweight world championship this summer. Last Sunday, the offers were presented to the fighters and their teams and now it appears the wheels are in motion for an official announcement.

Hearn told Behind The Gloves, while away in Miami for Demetrius Andrade’s WBO middleweight world title defence against Liam Williams: “Both sides have approved the site offer they want to go with, we are now finalising the site offer and we’re in a good place.”

Understandably, Hearn was apprehensive to reveal exactly where the fight will be taking place.

Saudi Arabia, which staged AJ’s rematch with Andy Ruiz Jr in December 2019, is believed to be the frontrunner.

Fury confirmed last week before flying to Las Vegas to begin his training that he’d finally received a series of fight offers.

“Just had some big news. Three or four big offers on the table,” he said in a video on Twitter.

“There’s interest from Saudi Arabia, my Gypsy brothers in Qatar, Uzbekistan, Russia, America, England,” he said.

“There’s some big, big offers on the table. I’m going to go through them on Sunday and hopefully we can get this big fight on and I can smash this big dosser.

“Big useless dosser, let me say. Because when I get him I’m going to give him that [clenched fist], you big dosser.”

Joshua has already started training while the Gypsy King is now sharpening his tools in the Top Rank Gym in Vegas.

Fury has shared various videos this week training with his cut man Jorge Capetillo.

His trainer SugarHill Steward has also arrived in Vegas as the trio look to begin their official fight preparations.

Promoter Frank Warren, who manages Fury with Top Rank chief Bob Arum, said earlier this week that he can’t see how the fight happens in July due to AJ’s trainer Rob McCracken’s Team GB commitments.

“I don’t see how any of that can happen in July or even early August from my perspective,” he told talkSPORT.

“Robert McCracken is AJ’s trainer, he’s also our Olympic team’s head coach, so he’s gonna be in Japan – I think the Olympics start on July 23, and I don’t know what the quarantine period is.

“He can’t be in two places at once. That’s if Robert McCracken’s still training AJ, maybe he’s not training the Olympic squad, I’m not sure. That’s one issue.

“I don’t believe this fight will go on until – if it’s late August we’ll be very lucky, maybe September.”

Hearn has been quick to brush aside any negative talk and doubts surrounding the fight and he insists this fight will get made this summer on his watch.

This article originally appeared on Daily Express :: Sport Feed

Tyson Fury confirms four 'big offers' on table for Anthony Joshua mega-fight in new update

Tyson Fury has revealed he has finally received a list of fight offers from Eddie Hearn, Bob Arum and Frank Warren for an undisputed mega-fight with Anthony Joshua this summer. The Gypsy King has been piling pressure on Hearn, in particular, this week with a series of cryptic posts on social media, with alarm clock emojis hinting towards an upcoming deadline.
Both Fury and Joshua put pen to paper on a two-fight deal on March 15 but either fighter withholds the right to pull out of the fight if the site deal does not satisfy their demands.

The WBC and Ring Magazine heavyweight world champion has made it clear he intends to fight twice this year, whoever that may be against.

Fury’s lack of patience suggests he would be willing to explore other opponents should the fight with AJ continue to stall.

His father John Fury has also raised doubts as to whether the promoters involved can pull off the biggest fight in boxing history during a global pandemic.

But now it appears Hearn, Arum and Warren have come up trumps, as the Gypsy King issued an exciting update to his supporters late last night.

“Just had some big news. Three or four big offers on the table,” he said in a video on Twitter.

“There’s interest from Saudi Arabia, my Gypsy brothers in Qatar, Uzbekistan, Russia, America, England.

“There’s some big, big offers on the table. I’m going to go through them on Sunday and hopefully we can get this big fight on and I can smash this big dosser.

“Big useless dosser, let me say. Because when I get him I’m going to give him that [clenched fist], you big dosser.”

Meanwhile, Joshua also provided an update on his social media accounts last night before Fury’s video announcement.

AJ tweeted: “Quick update. Myself, @258mgt & @MatchroomBoxing are working really hard to make the fight happen.

“I want to give my fans what they want & you know I’ll do whatever I can to deliver. Hoping to share some positive news soon.”

Speaking to The Daily Star, Hearn confirmed yesterday from the Matchroom Boxing bubble that all parties are due to sit down on Sunday to push this fight closer to the finish line.

“This weekend is the date the teams have set for when we’d like to get the date and location sorted. And we’re on the verge of that anyway,” Hearn said.

“So this weekend they’ll get the different proposals saying: ‘These are the different offers that are on the table. Let’s discuss.’

“It’s not like it means: ‘If it doesn’t get done by this date, the fight can’t happen.’ That’s just what the teams said to try and get the dates sorted by then.

“By the weekend we’ll have the proposals. But then I guess Fury could turn around and say, ‘You’re out of time!’

“I just don’t think he believes anymore. He hasn’t boxed since February, I don’t think he trusts whoever.

“He’s saying it’s not gonna happen, but we’re out here actively trying to secure it.”

‘One day left’: Tyson Fury fires warning as Anthony Joshua promises to ‘share positive news soon’ about boxing megafight

Tyson Fury has warned that there is just one day remaining to secure a location for the proposed July heavyweight title unification fight against Anthony Joshua, with the ‘Gypsy King’ hinting he could walk away from the deal.

Last summer, a giddy, shirtless Tyson Fury announced in an Instagram video that his advisor, alleged Irish mobster Daniel Kinahan, had helped secure a deal for two gargantuan showdowns between the two battling Brits – before several promotional and broadcasting bumps in the road threatened to scupper the fight.

Around a month ago, Joshua’s promoter Eddie Hearn again raised hopes that the fight can be arranged when he announced both Joshua and Fury had signed contracts ahead of a July fight – but what wasn’t quite so loudly expressed by the Matchroom Boxing chief was that the contracts reportedly hold an expiry date, which Fury says is fast approaching.

Fury took to social media once again on Friday to sound the alarm ahead of the possible crumbling of a superfight, writing that there is “one day left” for the terms to be agreed as they relate to the most recent contract between the two boxers.

It is thought that the hold-up is is largely down to a location for the fight not yet being agreed, despite interest being reported from the Middle East. 

And, boxing being boxing, it is also assumed that there are more than a few wrinkles with regard to broadcasting rights and any number of the other variables which go into an equation of this magnitude.

But just minutes after Fury took to Twitter to express his frustration, Joshua also went online to provide fans with a “quick update“.

Quick update,” he wrote. “Myself, @258mgt & @MatchroomBoxing are working really hard to make the fight happen. I want to give my fans what they want & you know I’ll do whatever I can to deliver. Hoping to share some positive news soon.

The timing of Joshua’s tweet was interesting, given that it came roughly an hour after Fury’s and has prompted questions as to which side is more responsible for the negotiations apparently grinding to a halt.

If and when the two fighters do step into a ring, however, some fans are saying that Joshua, and his promoter Eddie Hearn, might quickly regret it.

AJ won’t agree. He and Hearn lose everything after the fight,” one fan suggested, while another wrote that Joshua’s only path to victory is if he lands a “lucky shot“.

Another, though, was a tad more conspiratorial.

Something isn’t adding up here,” they said. “One side clearly don’t want it.”
Also on rt.com ‘The deal could go away’: Questions raised about Fury-Joshua mega-fight as insider reveals contracts could EXPIRE in 30 days

RT

Presented by
RT.com