Tag Archives: mounts

Tokyo Olympics crisis: First competitors contract COVID-19 as pressure mounts on Japan PM

Two athletes from the same country and competing in the same sport staying in the village in the Harumi waterfront district tested positive for the virus, organisers said without offering additional details. Organisers today reported 10 new cases connected to the Olympics, including a third athlete not staying in the village, down from 15 new cases a day earlier.

South Africa also reported three positive cases in its soccer squad – two players and an analyst.

It was not immediately clear if those cases were identified as part of the same testing programme.

An International Olympic Committee member from South Korea tested positive for the coronavirus on landing in Tokyo.

Ryu Seung-min, a former Olympic athlete, is double-jabbed, underlining the infection risk even from vaccinated attendees.

And on Friday it was announced a Nigerian delegate to the Olympics had become the first visitor to be admitted to hospital with COVID-19, broadcaster TV Asahi said on Friday.

The new infections are testing the layered testing regime designed to ensure Covid cases are quickly caught and isolated. Proponents argue that the growing number of cases underscores the strength of the testing system.

JUST IN: Vaccine ‘shortage’ blamed for delay to offer children Covid jabs

Mr Suga has said Japan would take thorough steps to strengthen border controls against the coronavirus.

Public support for his cabinet has slid to 35.9 percent, a Kyodo poll showed on Sunday, the lowest since he replaced Shinzo Abe as the country’s leader in September.

A mere 29.4 percent think the fourth state of emergency, which began last Monday, is effective, according to the poll.

The rainy season ended in Tokyo on Friday, bringing blue skies and intense heat, another potential problem for organisers.

The burden on participants has been increased by virus countermeasures like masking.

David Hughes, chief medical officer at the Australian Olympic Committee, said: “While we have been dealing with Covid matters, we haven’t taken our focus off the heat.”

Officials point to heat countermeasures including the distribution of drinks and salt tablets and the use of misting towers and cooling vests.

The delayed Olympics was intended to showcase a modern, diverse Japan at a time of rising regional rivalries – but the pandemic has left the country hosting a pared-down event.

Athletes continue to question the compromises organisers have made, with Maya Yoshida, captain of Japan’s soccer team, calling for the decision to hold the Games behind closed doors to be reconsidered.

Postponed last year due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Summer Olympics have little public support in Japan amid widespread fears about a further spread of the coronavirus.

Critics on Thursday submitted a petition against the Games that has garnered more than 450,000 signatures this month.

Organisers have imposed Olympics “bubbles” to prevent further transmissions of COVID-19, but medical experts are worried they might not be sufficiently tight.

Adblock test (Why?)

Read more
This post originally posted here Daily Express :: World Feed

Frustration Mounts in Search for Survivors of Condo Collapse Near Miami

“I got home and made breakfast and slept for maybe five hours,” he said.

For now, anxious families have been relocated from a community center to a neighboring hotel so they could be more comfortable. The authorities planned to brief them every four hours on the search-and-rescue operations.

And survivors continued to share staggering stories of how they escaped harm.

Marian Smeraldi-Lopez, who lived with her family on the sixth floor, said she got out through a stairway.

“No apartments on that north side were visible,” she said. “Just air, debris and rubble.”

Ms. Smeraldi-Lopez, her husband, Alfredo Lopez, and their 24-year-old son, Michael Lopez, grabbed a flashlight, cellphones and eyeglasses and ran out in their pajamas. Dust had seeped in from around the glass doors and windows. There was no electricity. Somewhere, an alarm sounded. The apartment next to theirs, she said, “was gone.”

She and her family stayed close to the wall, inching past an elevator bank. At the stairs, they joined a single-file line of residents streaming down from upper floors. Families called out to keep track of those behind them. In the garage, the water was up to her ankles.

Outside, they climbed over a broken pool deck wall, wanting to reach the beach in case there was destruction from what they still thought was an earthquake: “I was convinced the aftershock was going to happen,” she said.

But when they reached a clearing, she turned around. There was only one section of the building that had fallen, and the buildings around them were unscathed.

The understanding of their plight filled her with dread.

“It was just our building,” she said, “and it stopped at our apartment.”

Reporting was contributed by Richard Fausset, Giulia Heyward, Michael Majchrowicz and Joseph B. Treaster from Surfside. Reporting was also contributed by Mike Baker, Manny Fernandez, Christine Hauser, Sophie Kasakove, Alyssa Lukpat and Mitch Smith. Kitty Bennett contributed research.

Author: Patricia Mazzei
This post originally appeared on NYT > Top Stories

Escape from Tarkov wipe date: Speculation mounts that Tarkov Wipe is coming soon

Is an Escape from Tarkov wipe being planned for this week? This is the question that many fans are asking as speculation continues to mount in June.

There have been no definitive announcements from the team regarding the subject this week, meaning that, officially, nothing is scheduled to happen.

An earlier message from developers Battlestate revealed that “Wipe is not planned right now; we don’t plan to do it in the next weeks or months.”

This was shared during a podcast in May, meaning that it has now been over a month since it was released and could therefore leave the door open for the next Tarkov wipe to drop before the end of June.

And there’s plenty of speculation among gamers that something is being planned for the popular shooter.

Some of this is connected to the news that a special discount sale is launching this weekend, which would reduce the price of the game.

Events such as these have been tied to Tarkov Wipes in the past, leading to fans preparing for some kind of an announcement.

Fans have been sharing their own ideas on what might be planned next for Escape from Tarko on social media platforms like Reddit.

Shawn_NYC posted their own theory on what’s coming next, explaining: “The sale points to a patch and wipe Sunday or Monday. Here’s why:

“Business-wise, it’s not smart to run a sale on wipe day. Tarkov gets the most free publicity during a wipe event which leads to impulse purchases for customers.

“You want to charge full price for impulse purchases. There is a sale going on Friday and Saturday.

“Sales are generally aimed at customers who are sitting on the fence and need an incentive to jump in. So business-sense would be to run a sale before the wipe to give the fence-sitters a reason to buy on Friday and Saturday.

“Going by the previous 3 they’ve all been on Thursdays. Even if they have staff for the weekend I still doubt they’d want to push it through on a Friday. Might as well wait 3 days and do it Monday when you have the full week.”

But until we hear more from Battlestate Games on the subject, all of this remains speculation.

Traditionally, Escape from Tarkov character wipe includes losing levels and trader rep, as well as stash progress.

And there is usually a new update or small patch released that includes some important changes to the game, including new content and weapon rebalancing.

So expect plenty more chatter from fans until we hear what is being planned for the next Escape from Tarkov wipe.

Author:
This post originally appeared on Daily Express :: Gaming Feed

China vs Australia: Canberra prepares for war with £400m defence upgrade as tension mounts

Author:
This post originally appeared on Daily Express :: World Feed

And also said his country would be teaming up with the United States in expanded war games aimed at ensuring both nations were battle-ready. In an announcement that comes amid an increasingly bitter diplomatic and trade spat with , Mr Morrison said must expand its military assets in the Northern Territory to be able to respond to unspecified tensions in the Asia-Pacific region.

A total of A$ 747million (£418million) is being invested, he announced.

Mr Morrison told reporters: “Our objective is a free and open Indo-Pacific, to ensure a peaceful region, one that, at the same time, Australia is in a position to always protect its interests.”

He avoided naming China – but Australia’s prioritising of the Indo-Pacific comes against a backdrop of increasing competition between the two in the region in recent years.

Relations deteriorated sharply last year, after Canberra demanded an international inquiry into the origins of the coronavirus, triggering trade reprisals by Beijing.

Mr Morrison said an airstrip in the Northern Territory will be lengthened to support larger aircraft, firing ranges overhauled and new training facilities developed for both Australia’s own defence personnel and US marines.

The military upgrades will get underway this year and are scheduled to be completed by 2026.

JUST IN: Brexit vindicated as damning report exposes new EU crisis

The funds come from an Australian defence plan which will see Canberra spend $ 270 billion in the next decade to improve Canberra’s long-range strike capabilities, with the country increasing defence spending by 40 percent over the course of the next decade.

Speaking last year, Mr Morrison said the extra funding was needed as the Asia-Pacific region was experiencing the greatest level of economic and strategic uncertainty since World War II – again, without singling out China.

Australia’s assertive approach has gone down well in Washington, and Morrison said the new facilities will enhance joint military drills with the US

More than 2,000 US Marines have already travelled to northern Australia to take part in annual joint training activities.

Australia and the United States also hold war games twice a year, with the next due to begin in August.

In the past, more than 30,000 troops have taken part in the drills, which happen off Australia’s east coast.

Michael Goldman, Charge d’Affaires at the US embassy in Canberra, said: “The United States and Australia have been deeply engaged in defence cooperation for over half a century.

“We will continue to look for additional ways to partner with Australia, as our ally, to advance the security and prosperity of Americans, Australians, and the peoples of the Indo-Pacific region.”

The announcement comes hard on the heels of a claim by Mike Pezzullo, Australia’s Home Affairs Department Secretary, that liberal democracies must brace themselves for war.

Mr Pezzulo did not offer a specific reason for his remark, but tensions with China, particularly centred on Taiwan, are almost certainly a factor.

Speaking on Sunday, Australian Defence Minister Peter Dutton also said a conflict between China and Taiwan “should not be discounted”.

Last week the Australian Government used new powers to block up two deals struck between the state of Victoria and Beijing in accordance with the Belt and Road outward investment initiative.

The move prompted an angry reaction from the Chinese embassy in Australia, which branded the move “provocative”

In a statement, it claimed the decision was “bound to bring further damage to bilateral relations, and will only end up hurting itself.”

It added: “It further shows that the Australian government has no sincerity in improving China-Australia relations.”

Jose Mourinho facing uphill battle to save Tottenham job as pressure mounts on Daniel Levy

It was the last desperate throw of the dice for the man who was winning big and suddenly wanted to have it all instantly. Daniel Levy was willing to gamble everything. Friendship, history, philosophy and even good will could all be thrown into the pot if it brought back silverware and success.
Jose Mourinho was brought into the project.

Undoubtedly, the Portuguese is a winner. At his best. At his worst, he had shown he could be a destructive power in a cohesive dressing room, capable of undoing good work in an instant, whether it be his own or somebody else’s.

One thing Mourinho is not, at either extreme, is “Tottenham”.

Finally, too late, Levy is waking up to that.

What he had going under Mauricio Pochettino was a Good Thing. Underpaid players were over-achieving for the collective good, allowing Levy to put all the infrastructure quietly in place to give Spurs the potential to become one of Europe’s top clubs.

Unfortunately, the players accrued for virtually zero net spend were not quite good enough to win trophies – although goodness knows they tried.

They dared, And they did their best at least.

So much so that they reached the Champions League final, the game which flipped the switch and made Levy believe they had made it.

If Jose Mourinho has still been the Special One, it might have worked. Here was the same innocence he had moulded at Porto. The same hunger for success he had nurtured at Chelsea.

But it had to be about him. Divide and conquer was almost the mantra, so he could rebuild in his own image.

Early on, he identified Tanguy Ndombele as strong dressing room influence. He was made to train with the stiffs in a bid to get him fitter.

Dele Alli, a mercurial talent who relies on confidence, was immediately questioned.

Davinson Sanchez was told he had not got the mental strength for the 2019 Europa League final when Mourinho’s United beat Ajax – he has not been the same player since.

Meanwhile, Harry Kane continued to develop. But he was only showing signs of what he started under Pochettino and so self-driven he could thrive with David Brent as his boss.

Yet when things went wrong, the players found themselves thrown under the bus. The Instagram from Antwerp hoping that the players were as upset as the sour-faced manager was.

Now this latest diatribe.

It was the same bus that Mourinho had been encouraging his players to park in front of their biggest challenges. Efficiency became the watchword.

Alli dared to try a clever flick pass. On this occasion, he didn’t achieve it. He was benched for the best part of half-a-season.

Early leads were squandered by over-defensiveness. A mouth-watering weaponry of Kane, Heung-Min Son, Gareth Bale, Lucas Moura and Alli were made to look toothless.

Mourinho had been brought in to turn these players into winners, but they still have won nothing at all.

A Carabao Cup success against Manchester City may save the Special One’s reputation – after all, Spurs have won nothing since lifting the same trophy under Juande Ramos in 2008.

But unless they put an unlikely run together to finish in the top four, it certainly should not be enough to save Mourinho his job.

Return to Real? Ronaldo ‘in discussions with former club FOR MONTHS’ as speculation mounts after latest Juve flop in Europe

Cristiano Ronaldo has been in discussions with Real Madrid for months regarding a potential return to the club, according to reports in Spain, as speculation mounts over where the star will be playing next season.

Ronaldo and his Juventus team suffered more disappointment in the Champions League this week as they crashed out to unfancied Porto on away goals.

Ronaldo KO: Woe for Cristiano as Juventus crash out of the Champions League after agonizing extra-time away-goals defeat to Porto

It was the latest blow to Ronaldo’s hopes of firing the team he joined in 2018 to European glory, with the Turin giants failing to go beyond the quarterfinal stage of the competition in each of the three seasons that five-time Champions League winner Ronaldo has been at the club.
Also on rt.com Time’s up: Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo must move on this summer if they really want to win the Champions League again
Following their latest disappointment – and with Andrea Pirlo’s team staring at an uphill battle to retain the Serie A title they have won for the past nine seasons – talk has intensified that Juve’s 36-year-old Portuguese icon could be on his way out despite having one year remaining on his contract.

Reports have indicated that Ronaldo’s agent, Jorge Mendes, has already spoken to former club Real Madrid about a potential return for the forward, who departed in 2018 as Los Blancos’ all-time top scorer with 450 goals in 438 appearances after nine years in the Spanish capital.

According to fresh claims from Spanish outlet AS, those discussions between Ronaldo’s team and Real “have been ongoing for several months.”

The outlet also states that Ronaldo’s biggest wish is to return to the club where he became a bona fide megastar and won four of his five Ballon d’Or crowns.

Enduring more misery with Juve last week, Ronaldo failed to find the net in either of the two legs against Porto, although he has top-scored for the Old Lady in Serie A this season with 20 goals in 22 games.

Reports in Italy claim that Juve would need a fee of at least €29 million ($ 34.6 million) to avoid a capital loss from the more than €100 million outlay they made to bring Ronaldo to Turin three years ago.

Ronaldo left Real apparently disgruntled at no longer being seen as indispensable by club president Florentino Perez.

There were also rumblings of pay issues, while Ronaldo was burned by a run-in with the Spanish tax authorities which left him having to pay a fine of around €20 million.

However, bridges were not burned completely, and Ronaldo was pictured enjoying special guest status in a box at the Bernabeu to watch the El Clasico clash with Barcelona in March 2020.   

Like Juventus, Real currently appear to be in a stage of flux under manager Zinedine Zidane. They remain in the Champions League, holding a 1-0 lead ahead of their last-16 second leg with Atalanta next week, although they are eight points adrift of city rivals Atletico in the race to retain the La Liga title they won last season.  
Also on rt.com ‘He is too expensive’: Ex-Juventus chief slams signing of Cristiano Ronaldo as ‘absolutely’ a mistake by Champions League flops
Ronaldo himself showed little sign of the speculation surrounding him as he took to Instagram on Saturday while the Juve team prepare for their meeting with Cagliari on Sunday.

“More important than the number of falls you take in life, is how fast and how strong you get back on your feet…,” the star wrote to his almost 270 million followers. 

“True champions never break! Our focus is already in Cagliari, in the Serie A struggle, in the Italian Cup final and in everything that we can still achieve this season.

“It’s true that the past belongs in museums (I should say!), but fortunately, football has memory… and so do I!

“History can’t be deleted, it’s written every single day with resilience, team spirit, persistence and lots of hard work. And those who don’t understand this, will never achieve glory and success.”  

RT

Presented by
RT.com