Tag Archives: resigns

Harris County Flood Control District executive director resigns

HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) — Harris County Flood Control District’s executive director is stepping down.

Russell Poppe sent his letter of resignation to the county board of commissioners last Friday. His last day is set for July 2.

“The growing expectations associated with these efforts have adversely affected the quality of my personal life to a point I can no longer sustain,” Poppe wrote.

While he is resigning, Poppe said he does not have any announcements about the next chapter in his career and is taking time to select the best opportunity for him and his family.

Poppe, who worked with the flood control district for over 15 years, took over as executive director back in 2016 after the previous director retired.

SEE ALSO:

Harris County Flood Control District doubles down on projects ahead of hurricane season

Officials in Harris Co. working to reduce flooding in neighborhoods

The video above is from a previous story of the flood control district doubling down on projects ahead of hurricane season.

Copyright © 2021 KTRK-TV. All Rights Reserved.

Author: KTRK

This post originally appeared on ABC13 RSS Feed

Black Lives Matter co-founder resigns amid controversy over allegedly lavish lifestyle

The change was announced on Thursday, with Ms Cullors exiting her position as the executive director of the foundation on Friday. Ms Cullors has been at the forefront of the Black Lives Matter Global Network Foundation for nearly six years and insisted that recent criticism she has received did not factor into her decision to leave.
Both conservatives and black activists alike have criticised Ms Cullors, some of which are now asking for an investigation, after it was claimed the self-declared Marxist owns four homes.

The co-founder claimed that she wants more time to focus on the release of her second book, as well as a multi-year TV development deal with Warner Bros that will promote Black stories.

Ms Cullors added that she has been planning to leave the movement for almost a year, with recent events just being coincidental.

She said: “I’ve created the infrastructure and the support, and the necessary bones and foundation so that I can leave. It feels like the time is right.”

Recent criticism of Ms Cullors has revolved around her allegedly lavish lifestyle, with Ms Cullors reportedly purchasing four “high-end” homes worth $ 3.2 million (£2.26m) in the US, including one in Malibu, California, and a custom ranch in Georgia.

At the time, Ms Cullors was criticised by Hawk Newsome, the head of Black Lives Matter Greater New York City – which has no affiliation to Black Lives Matter Global Network Foundation – who demanded “an independent investigation” into how the global network uses its finances.

He added: “If you go around calling yourself a socialist, you have to ask how much of her own personal money is going to a charitable cause. It’s really sad because it makes people doubt the validity of the movement and overlook the fact that it’s the people that carry this movement.”

These allegations have been strongly denied by Ms Cullors, who called them “categorically untrue and incredibly dangerous.”

READ MORE: Sasha Johnson: What happened to the BLM activist who was shot?

A statement issued by the Black Lives Matter Foundation said: “As a registered 501c3 non-profit organisation, [the foundation] cannot and did not commit any organisational resources toward the purchase of personal property by any employee or volunteer. Any insinuation or assertion to the contrary is categorically false.”

Ms Cullors also issued a statement, writing on Instagram: “This decision comes after a truly fulfilling and challenging journey that has been one of my life’s greatest honours.”

She added that she had “actually stepped back” already by the end of 2019, but when the protests began last year she was asked to come back and did so on a temporary basis.

Author:
This post originally appeared on Daily Express :: World Feed

Santa Clara U. President Resigns After Inappropriate Behavior, Officials Say

A Jesuit priest who delivered the homily at a Mass for the inauguration of President Biden has resigned as the president of Santa Clara University after he engaged in inappropriate behavior, university officials said on Wednesday.

An investigation by the Jesuits West Province found that the priest, the Rev. Kevin O’Brien, “engaged in behaviors, consisting primarily of conversations, during a series of informal dinners with Jesuit graduate students that were inconsistent with established Jesuit protocols and boundaries,” the chairman of the university’s board of trustees said in a statement to the university community.

“The Province also advised the Board that alcohol was involved and that no inappropriate behavior was found in any settings outside of these dinners,” the statement said.

The statement, which did not elaborate further on the behavior, said that Father O’Brien, who had been placed on leave in March, notified the board of trustees that he was resigning on Sunday, and that the board accepted his resignation on Monday.

“The Board of Trustees takes this situation very seriously and fully supports those who came forward to provide their accounts,” said the statement from the board chairman, John M. Sobrato.

Mr. Sobrato said the province had directed Father O’Brien to remain on leave and to enroll in a four- to six-month “therapeutic outpatient program, which he has now begun, to address related personal issues, including alcohol and stress counseling.”

Father O’Brien could not be immediately reached for comment on Wednesday night.

A former practicing lawyer who was ordained to the priesthood in 2006, Father O’Brien had served as dean of Santa Clara University’s Jesuit School of Theology since 2016 and was named president of the Jesuit university in 2019. Before that, he had served for eight years at Georgetown University, including five years as vice president for mission and ministry, according to Santa Clara University.

Father O’Brien has also served on the boards of four Jesuit universities: Fordham University, Seattle University, Marquette University and Boston College, according to his biography at Santa Clara University.

On Jan. 20, Inauguration Day, he celebrated a Roman Catholic Mass for President Biden, Vice President Kamala Harris and congressional leaders at the Cathedral of St. Matthew the Apostle in Washington. Father O’Brien had been friends with the Biden family for nearly 15 years, since serving at Georgetown University, according to the Jesuits.

In his homily, Father O’Brien compared Mr. Biden’s upcoming inaugural message to the words of Jesus.

“Your public service is animated by the same conviction,” he said, “to help and protect people and to advance justice and reconciliation, especially for those who are too often looked over and left behind.”

The Rev. Scott Santarosa, provincial of the Jesuits West, said that the university and Father O’Brien were “in our prayers during this time of transition.”

“This is a challenging time for Santa Clara, but Father O’Brien has shown both generosity and freedom in wanting to do what is best for the university,” Father Santarosa said in a statement. “With care for the faculty, staff, students and entire Santa Clara community, he has decided to step down.”

Mr. Sobrato said that while the board begins the process of searching for a new president, Lisa Kloppenberg, the university provost, would continue to serve as acting president, a role she assumed in March after Father O’Brien was placed on leave. At the time, Mr. Sobrato said that Father O’Brien had agreed to cooperate fully with the investigation.

“I realize that a development like this can bring up many feelings — I humbly ask everyone to give each other grace and space as we collectively absorb the news of Father O’Brien’s resignation,” Ms. Kloppenberg wrote in a message to the university community on Wednesday. “I am grateful that you will stay focused on your responsibilities to our students, other stakeholders and each other as we finish out this academic year and continue preparations for a return to campus in the fall.”

Azi Paybarah contributed reporting.

Author: Michael Levenson
This post originally appeared on NYT > U.S. News

Idaho Lawmaker Accused of Raping an Intern Resigns

Author: Neil Vigdor
This post originally appeared on NYT > U.S. News

An Idaho lawmaker who the police say is the focus of a criminal investigation into allegations that he raped a 19-year-old female legislative intern last month resigned on Thursday — the same day that an ethics committee recommended that he be suspended.

In a unanimous vote by the House Ethics and Policy Committee, the lawmaker, State Representative Aaron von Ehlinger, a Republican from Lewiston, Idaho, was found to have engaged in “conduct unbecoming” of a representative.

The committee said as part of a censure recommendation to the full House that Mr. von Ehlinger, who has not been charged with a crime, should be barred from office without pay for the rest of the legislative session. The panel also said it would support a motion to expel him from the Legislature, where he had served for less than a year.

The disciplinary action came one day after Mr. von Ehlinger declined to answer the committee’s questions about the allegations during a lengthy public hearing in which he invoked the Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination.

Mr. von Ehlinger, 38, denied the allegations in a resignation letter that he sent on Thursday to Idaho’s House speaker, but said that he would not be able to continue to represent his constituents effectively.

“I maintain my innocence of any wrongdoing of which I have been accused in this matter, let alone any violation of any law, rule, or policy of the state of Idaho or of this body,” he wrote. He also said that it would be difficult for him do his job facing potential expulsion.

“It is my hope that this action spares my good colleagues any more difficulty in this matter,” the letter said.

The student intern, who testified before the committee on Wednesday, told the House assistant sergeant-at-arms on March 11 that Mr. von Ehlinger had sexually assaulted her after they had dinner at a Boise, Idaho, restaurant on March 9, according to one of her lawyers. Instead of taking her back to her car, the lawyer said, Mr. von Ehlinger drove her back to his apartment and raped her.

Mr. von Ehlinger had previously told legislators in a private interview that his sexual contact with the intern had been consensual, according to the committee, whose members repeatedly admonished him on Thursday.

“His behavior has poisoned the reputation of all of us and tarnished and discredited other elected officials who serve,” Representative Wendy Horman, a Republican from Idaho Falls, said during the committee’s meeting.

The committee’s members said that Mr. von Ehlinger, who is single, had engaged in a pattern of inappropriate conduct in the workplace, pursuing relationships with several female House staff members, some of whom were subordinates.

“The representative’s aggressive tactics towards women are unsettling,” Representative John McCrostie, a Democrat from Garden City, said during the meeting.

A spokeswoman for the Boise Police Department said in an email on Thursday that there was an open investigation into the allegations against Mr. von Ehlinger.

Erika Birch, a lawyer for the intern, who was identified in a complaint as Jane Doe, said in an email on Thursday that Mr. von Ehlinger had failed to accept responsibility for his actions.

“It is inexcusable that he waited until his fate was inescapable to resign,” Ms. Birch said. “While we are pleased he is out of the Legislature and unable to prey on any more young women at our Statehouse, his actions are simply unforgivable.”

Ms. Birch said that the intern, a college student who graduated from high school last year and had been working for another House Republican, had been further violated when a letter identifying her was released as part of Mr. von Ehlinger’s defense. Local media outlets reported that a former lawyer for Mr. von Ehlinger had sent the letter.

“Von Ehlinger could have and should have taken responsibility for his actions from the outset,” Ms. Birch said. “Instead, he forced our teenaged client to suffer through weeks of the Ethics Committee investigation and ultimately having to testify in a public hearing. Worse yet, he released his written defense without redacting her identity, which has led to a campaign of harassment and bullying of her.”

Mr. von Ehlinger and his current lawyer did not immediately respond to requests for additional comment on Thursday.

Appointed last June by Gov. Brad Little, a Republican, to fill a vacancy caused by a lawmaker’s death, Mr. von Ehlinger ran unopposed in the November election. In a profile last spring, The Lewiston Tribune reported that Mr. von Ehlinger had worked as a substitute teacher after a military career, in addition to working in private security and real estate.

In a statement issued on Thursday before Mr. von Ehlinger’s resignation, Mr. Little said that elected officials must be held to a higher standard.

“I applaud Jane Doe and the other brave women for their courage in telling their stories and participating in this process to hold Representative Aaron von Ehlinger accountable for his deeply damaging and shameful actions,” Mr. Little said. “Representative von Ehlinger’s inappropriate and alarming actions stand in opposition to the values and behavior state elected officials must uphold.”

Russian Paralympic Committee President Lukin resigns amid WADA sanctions

President of the Russian Paralympic Committee (RPC) Vladimir Lukin has resigned due to the World Anti-Doping Agency’s (WADA) sanctions imposed on Russia over alleged doping violations.

Lukin left his post on Tuesday having spent 24 years at the helm of the national Paralympic Committee after being elected the body’s president in 1997.

READ MORE:Striking the wrong chord: CAS bans use of ‘Katyusha’ song instead of Russian national anthem at Olympic Games

His resignation comes two months after the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) ruling which upheld a series of sanctions introduced by WADA over alleged manipulation of data at a Moscow anti-doping laboratory.

Under the terms of the CAS decision, Russian government officials are prohibited from holding key positions in sports bodies until December 2022. Those appointed to boards and committees are bound to leave their roles in accordance with court’s verdict.

Lukin, who also serves as the Deputy Chair of the Federation Council Committee on Foreign Affairs, stepped down as the RPC chief in accordance with WADA’s demand.
Also on rt.com ‘Putting Russian athletes first’: RUSADA calls CAS ruling ‘unjustified,’ but will not challenge ban on country
Today, at the Executive Committee meeting, letters of resignation filed by the Deputy Chair of the Federation Council Committee on Foreign Affairs Vladimir Lukin as president of the RPC, and State Duma deputies Boris Ivanyuzhenkov, Rima Batalova and Oleg Smolin as vice presidents of the RPC, were considered and satisfied,” the RPC said in statement.

Earlier, President of the Russian Athletics Federation (RUSAF) Peter Ivanov was forced to resign over WADA restrictions less than three months after being appointed to the role.

The same reason forced President of the Russian Hockey Federation (RHF) Vladislav Tretiak to leave his seat in the Council of the International Ice Hockey Federation (IIHF).

RT

Presented by
RT.com