Tag Archives: ‘respect’

Demi Lovato asks for ‘respect’ in ‘powerful’ post about being misgendered

In May, the singer used their podcast to announce that they identify as non-binary and will be using they/them pronouns going forward. Demi said that the updated pronouns better reflect how they feel about the fluidity of their gender expression, allowing them to be their “most authentic” self.

Just this week, Demi took to Instagram to share that it is fine for people to make mistakes with their pronouns – as long as the intentions are good.

The Skyscraper singer also noted that it is “a huge transition”, revealing that they sometimes even misgender themselves.

The post said: “If you misgender me – that’s okay. I accidentally misgender myself sometimes!

“It’s a huge transition to change the pronouns I’ve used for myself my entire life. And it’s difficult to remember sometimes!

“As long as you keep trying to respect my truth, and as long as I remember my truth, the shift will come naturally.

“I’m just grateful for your effort in trying to remember what means so much to my healing process.”

Demi later took to Twitter to add to their message, explaining that they “felt the need” to share this because it is “important” that people try to use the correct pronouns for them – even if it is “confusing” at first.

The singer’s post was met with an array of love and support, with thousands praising their bravery and openness.

READ MORE: Demi Lovato urges people not to make comments about body

Read more
This post originally posted here Daily Express :: Celebrity News

When a body is found, crews in Surfside pause and pay a moment of respect

There were about 200 search and rescue personnel at the scene Tuesday evening. Nearly two weeks after the overnight collapse of the Champlain Towers South condo building — creating a pile of up to 16 feet of concrete — crews there only used heavy machinery when they were sure it was safe. Every piece of debris was methodically analyzed.
Rescue efforts have had only brief interruptions — pausing for the demolition of the remaining structure and for two hours for lightning, Miami-Dade Mayor Daniella Levine Cava told reporters Tuesday. Otherwise, Florida Fire Marshall and Chief Financial Officer Jimmy Patronis said Thursday that “operations never stop on site.”
Rescue crews are working 12-hour days at the Surfside condo site.
Crew members work for 12-hour shifts, and many don’t go home at the end of the day, instead sleeping in tents to keep their focus on rescuing people, task force leader Chief Scott Dean said last week.
Through those shifts, they have weathered winds of up to 30 mph as Tropical Storm Elsa neared the state, intense heat and the threat of another collapse before the rest of the structure was demolished.
Although no major injuries have been reported among the responders, several have suffered dehydration, Miami Dade County Fire Chief Alan Cominsky said. Several cases of Covid-19 also have developed among the search and rescue operations at Surfside.
And even for crews who have prepared to respond to the worst-case scenario, there is no amount of training that can take away the emotional toll of working through the devastation.
Before President Joe Biden’s visit last week, Patronis said he planned to ask for the “the nation’s best mental health experts” to assist in the treatment of PTSD among response officials. They’ve been working in conditions that resemble more of a war zone than a normal search and rescue mission, Patronis said.
Mourning those who were lost in the collapse has become a part of the effort, Capt. Ignatius Carroll Public Officer for Florida Task Force 2 said. When a body is found, they pause and pay a moment of respect.
Rescuers search for victims at a collapsed South Florida condo building Monday.
And as difficult as it can be to think that someone lost a brother, sister, parent or child, teams remain motivated to keep searching aggressively for survivors, officials said.
“It’s hard not to put yourself in that situation — not to put yourself in the position these families are in,” Miami-Dade Fire Rescue Capt. Eddy Alarcon said last week. “We started thinking about it in that way: What would I do? How hard are we going to work to save our family members if something like this were to happen?”
For one first responder, it did happen.
Stella Cattarossi, the 7-year-old daughter of a Miami firefighter, was found deceased in the rubble along with her mother, Graciela Cattarossi.
Her father was not among those working on the rescue when she was found Thursday evening, Cominsky said.
“We were able to give the father an opportunity to say his farewells and gave him peace of mind, as well as the family,” Carroll said. “That’s the goal we have with everybody out there on the pile trying to do their best in the search effort: to reunite families with loved ones.”

Author: Madeline Holcombe, CNN
Read more here >>> CNN.com – RSS Channel – HP Hero

Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall packs specific outfit when travelling to show respect

Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, is quite a jet-setter, travelling abroad for both royal duties alongside husband Prince Charles, and for leisure purposes. However, when doing so there is one very specific outfit which she must pack in her suitcase.

Alas, this rule is one that was created from experience.

In 1952, Queen Elizabeth II was representing the monarchy in Kenya alongside Prince Philip.

Sadly, it was during this trip that she was informed of the passing of her father King George VI.

Due to the sudden nature of his death, Queen Elizabeth realised she had not even thought to pack a black ensemble for her trip to the hot country.

This meant that, upon her return to London, she would not have the correct mourning attire to wear when disembarking the aircraft.

Luckily, her staff were on hand in the UK to collect a garment for her and have it delivered to the airport in time for her landing.

Her Royal Highness stayed firmly parked onboard the aircraft until the outfit had been brought to her.

She was then able to emerge from the aeroplane in her respectful outfit.

The black garment is not the only royal fashion rule which is often imposed on family members travelling abroad for duties.

Royal Family members must also try and show respect for the countries they are visiting by donning clothing made by local designers.

“When packing looks for a state trip it is considered respectful, good etiquette and customary to shop from the designers from that country, or looks that reflect the style and culture of the destination,” Anne Chertoff chief operating officer at New York-based Beautmont Etiquette told Express.co.uk.

“For example, when Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge travelled with Prince William to India in 2016 she wore a memorable white and blue dress by Indian-American designer Naeem Khan when the couple visited the Taj Mahal.”

Author:
This post originally appeared on Daily Express :: Travel Feed

Elvis Presley: Joanna Lumley was ‘appalled’ by lack of respect for The King when he died

Author:
This post originally appeared on Daily Express :: Entertainment Feed

Just like millions around the world, Joanna Lumley grew up listening to the incredible music of Elvis Presley. In fact, just a couple of years ago, the 75-year-old made a documentary about The King and met Priscilla Presley at Graceland. The former Bond girl and Ab Fab star is more interested in the younger Elvis but remembers the shock of his untimely death.
Speaking with the Radio Times around the time of her Elvis Presley documentary, Lumley said: “I’m not interested in the last two years of his life when he over-ate and was hooked on prescription pills, and he looked ill, sad and revolting.

“Those times weren’t really Elvis. People didn’t really know what he was going through.”

Elvis was just 42-year-old when he died of a heart attack at Graceland on August 16, 1977.

At the time, Lumley was shooting The Avengers in Canada and was “appalled” by how the press reported his passing.

READ MORE: Joanna Lumley tours Graceland to make documentary about idol Elvis

Sally told us: “I’ve always been an Elvis fan and I’ve always had those questions like why does he turn to the prescription medication? Why does he die in such a similar way to Gladys at a similar age?”

“I felt like there had to be a correlation there because they weren’t both taking the same prescription medication and why does he have all these really geriatric diseases very young in life with glaucoma, heart disease, diabetes, arthritis and different things like that?

“When I discovered that his maternal grandparents were first cousins, I just thought from a fan perspective, maybe this is part of that answer to the why question that all Elvis fans have. I felt an obligation to this story to full investigate it and that only grew the deeper I got into the project.”

And then the author found that as she delved further into The King’s health history, she didn’t have to theorise anything at all.

Sally added: “Just from what we knew, I was able to build a very strong case for all the ailments he had and either where they came from or certainly prove that they were certainly present before fame.

“And that was really the real goal, because if we can show he had serious illness prior to fame then we know the prescription medication didn’t cause it – for example his colon problem, I was able to trace that back to the Presley family.

“It’s something that Elvis dealt with her entire life but it’s often set aside as ‘Well the prescription medication will have slowed his bowels and that would have caused it.’”

Elvis: Destined To Die Young is out now and available to purchase here.

READ THE RADIO TIMES ARTICLE HERE.

Emilia Romagna Grand Prix makes schedule changes in mark of respect to Prince Philip

The late Duke will have a ceremonial funeral, rather than a state funeral.

Many in the world of Formula One paid tribute to Prince Philip.

@RedBullRacing:

Our entire Team is saddened to hear of the passing of Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh. Flags will fly at half mast at our Milton Keynes Campus in remembrance of his devotion to Great Britain.

@WilliamsRacing

We are saddened to learn of the passing of HRH The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.His life was dedicated to the service of his country, which he did with an unwavering devotion. Our deepest sympathies go to The Queen and the rest of the Royal Family.

This article originally appeared on Daily Express :: Sport Feed

Monty Don rages at royal attacks: ‘Respect’ Queen and Philip ‘It's not sycophantic drivel'

Monty Don, 65, has responded after viewers posted on social media about the rescheduling of Gardeners’ World in the wake of Prince Philip’s death. Writing to one viewer, he urged them to “please respect” people grieving over the Royal’s death.
Gardeners’ World did not air in its usual slot on Friday evening after news emerged that the Duke of Edinburgh had passed away earlier that day at the age of 99.

Presenter Monty took to Twitter to let viewers know about this on Friday afternoon.

He wrote to his 221,000 followers on April 9: “It is possible that tonight’s Gardeners World will be postponed due to extended news coverage as a result of the death of Prince Philip (sic).”

Monty then felt compelled to clarify the decision, asking a fan who has since deleted their tweet, to “please respect” those mourning.

READ MORE: Gardeners’ World host Monty Don admits he sees gardening as a ‘chore’

He wrote: “No, not sycophantic drivel but real feeling, real loss for a major figure who has been part of people’s lives. Please respect that.”

While the fan had deleted their tweet, Monty’s message came after many spoke about their disappointment over the news.

At the time one penned: “I was wondering about that and hope it is not.

“It’s such a helpful and comforting programme at the moment- I think it wouldn’t be inappropriate to show it x.”

One wrote: “Respect is the word. Respect for the life completed. Respect for the feelings of loss & grief.”

Another added: “Thank you, @TheMontyDon. Well said, Sir.”

“Thank you Monty for your kind words showing compassion and empathy,” penned a third.

Although Gardeners’ World was cancelled on Friday night, it then aired on Saturday evening instead.

Monty often responds to his followers on Twitter when they air their thoughts on the show.

This article originally appeared on Daily Express :: Celebrity News Feed

‘Respect to him’: Crystal Palace ace Zaha becomes first Premier League star NOT to take a knee after describing it as ‘degrading’

Crystal Palace winger Wilfried Zaha made good on his vow not to take a knee anymore as he became the first Premier League star to go against the grain since the gesture was introduced.

Zaha stood tall while others around him knelt before the kick-off as Palace took on West Brom in the Premier League on Saturday, making the 28-year-old Ivory Coast star the first footballer in England’s top flight to shun the move.

The former Manchester United star initially explained his decision back in February, saying: “I feel like taking a knee is degrading.

“Growing up, my parents just let me know that I should just be proud to be black, no matter what, and I just think we should stand tall.   

“I think the meaning behind the whole thing is becoming something that we just do now. That’s not enough. I’m not going to take the knee.”
Also on rt.com ‘Why must I kneel down?’ Premier League star Zaha calls Black Lives Matter ‘degrading’ as he slams football’s ‘tick box’ tokenism
Players in England adopted the gesture on the resumption of football last June, amid the swell of the Black Lives Matter movement following the death of George Floyd at the hands of police in America.

Black Lives Matter signs can still be found at Premier League stadiums, although the league itself has since replaced logos bearing the BLM name with a ‘No Room for Racism’ message on players’ shirts instead.

On Saturday at Selhurst Park, Zaha stood with his hands behind his back and facing forwards while others on the pitch – including officials – dropped to one knee.

The act from the forward won widespread praise on social media.

“Respectful decision…I understand where he is coming from. Half the players and people do it to fulfill righteousness, you might as well stop,” wrote one fan.

“Stop the kneeling. It doesn’t help anything [or] anyone. We need concrete action,” wrote another. 

“Respect to him. Taking a knee isn’t going to change anything and it undermines the whole thing,” read another response.

Ahead of kick-off, Zaha had released a statement to reiterate the thinking behind the step.

“There is no right or wrong but I feel kneeling just became a part of pre-match routine and at the moment, it doesn’t matter whether we kneel or stand. Some of us still continue to receive abuse,” he said.

“I know there is a lot of work being done behind the scenes at the Premier League and other authorities to make change, and I fully respect that, and everyone involved. I also fully respect my teammates and players at other clubs who continue to take the knee.

“As a society, I feel we should be encouraging better education in schools…and social media companies should be taking stronger action against people who abuse others – not just footballers – online. I now want to focus on football and enjoy playing.

“I will continue to stand tall.”

Zaha is far from the only football figure to question the gesture. Players at second-tier Championship clubs Queens Park Rangers, Brentford, Bournemouth and Derby County are among those not to drop to one knee before games.

Speaking to RT Sport in February, former Liverpool and England icon John Barnes said the gesture was ultimately just a token and could not change “systemic racism.”
Also on rt.com ‘Taking the knee can’t change systemic racism’: Ex-footballer John Barnes supports players deciding not to kneel (VIDEO)
“Taking the knee highlights the problem, and it’s been highlighting the problems since the George Floyd situation.That’s all,” Barnes said.

“…So if people feel that all they can do is highlight it, then take a knee. But if they feel they want to do more and taking a knee is a token gesture – and in many respects it is just a token gesture – if they decide not to do it because they want to do something else, I’m fine [with that].

“I wouldn’t be taking a knee. However, I don’t say that people shouldn’t be taking a knee. But taking a knee does nothing apart from highlight the problem.”

RT

Presented by
RT.com

Kate Middleton must follow ‘elevated’ fashion rule when flying as a sign of ‘respect’

Renowned for her seemingly effortless glamour and fashion-forward ensembles, Kate is often pictured stepping off aeroplanes in an array of high-end outfits.

However, according to a royal expert, this is actually something which is expected of the mother-of-three.

While typical travellers may opt for a comfortable tracksuit or a casual T-shirt and jeans, this is reportedly not an option for Kate.

Speaking to Express.co.uk, Anne Chertoff, Chief Operating Officer at New York-based Beautmont Etiquette, which currently runs a specialist online royal-themed etiquette course, explained her outfit choices can actually be seen as a mark of “respect”.

READ MORE: Portugal holidays: FCDO issues update on quarantine rule