While co-stars are picking up at least £10,000 apiece for the show’s new tie-in with car giant Citroen motors, show rules mean they are missing out potentially thousands more.
Gogglebox stars are not allowed to seek out commercial deals on their own without the express permission
Just four sets of armchair telly critics from Gogglebox will appear in the advert for the company’s new electric vehicles.
But their cash has been shared out equally with all the show’s participants to avoid rows.
Citroën’s new campaign also involved Giles and Mary, Marcus and Mica, as well as Pete and Sophie.
To sign up for the Hull Live newsletter, click here.
A source told The Sun: “Those couples will be getting a little bit an extra for the work they’ve put in on the ads.
“But everyone is getting at least £10,000 each as not everyone can appear in the commercials and it wouldn’t be fair for some people to miss out and not share in the popularity of the show.”
The advert is a continuation of Citroën’s new The French Car That Speaks Your Language campaign, which aims to break the jargon surrounding cars with simple and easy language.
Eurig Druce, Citroën UK managing director, said: “With the The French Car That Speaks Your Language campaign, Citroën is showcasing that while it may be a French brand, it is very much in tune with British audiences.
“Keen to cut out the jargon and make the purchase experience as simple as possible for our customers, we have launched a number of new initiatives in recent months, including our Fair Pricing policy, the new online Citroën Store and the virtual showroom.”
They added: “By forming a partnership with the hugely popular Gogglebox we hope to amplify our message even further with our wonderful New Citroën ë-C4 100% electric.”
Savings accounts are struggling to create decent returns for savers at the moment as interest rates remain at rock bottom levels. Despite this, new deals are regularly being launched to attract customers through boosted rates, accessibility and service.
Last week, Secure Trust Bank launched a new notice account for new and existing customers, alongside its existing range, providing savers with a choice of products at “competitive rates” to meet savings goals.
Secure Trust Bank detailed a 120 day Notice Account Day 0.75 percent is now available immediately.
Additionally, it noted other notice accounts in the range include the 45 Day Notice Account at 0.50 percent.
It warned however that it “Aims to offer savers products that are competitive within the marketplace at launch.
“Notice accounts are ideal for those looking to maximise returns on savings that they do not need immediate access to.
“Now is a good time for customers to review their financial aims over the next few months and to ensure their savings are working hard for them.”
Taking action now would be wise as additional analysis from Moneyfacts recently highlighted that rates on average are continuing to decline.
As of June 18, the average no notice savings rate stood at 0.1656 percent.
Additionally, recent inflation news may add pressure to the savings market.
UK inflation recently reached 2.1 percent, higher than the Bank of England’s target of two percent and Kevin Mountford, the co-founder of savings provider Raisin UK, commented on this.
He said: “The latest BoE report shows that we are saving more than ever with over £1.7trillion now stashed away in various savings products which is up by £200million over the last 12 months.
“However this comes at a time when interest rates remain at an all time low and even worse inflation is racing ahead and at 2.1 percent has exceeded the Goverment target.
“Whilst it may be difficult to determine the longer term impact of the increase in inflation, it clearly has a further negative impact for savers and in the current market it makes it impossible to realise positive net returns.
“This said, there have been some recent signs that the likes of fixed rates are improving but often the leading rates do not last very long and therefore savers need to remain vigilant and be prepared to secure leading rates when they can.
“There are also other incentives available within the market and as an example Raisin.co.uk is paying a welcome bonus of up to £100 so coupled with the right product offering this could clearly help to bridge the gap with the latest inflation figure.
“Regardless of the wider macro market, continued uncertainty is likely to see us saving even more albeit in order to boost the economy both individuals and businesses are required to spend more and get the tills ringing so it will be interesting to see how things play out over the coming months.”
NEW YORK (Reuters) – The U.S. government and the top U.S. fuel pipeline operator on Monday worked to secure the network that transports nearly half of the East Coast’s supplies as a shutdown to halt a ransomware cyberattack entered a fourth day.
The attack on Colonial Pipeline last week, one of the most disruptive digital ransom schemes ever reported, has sent shockwaves across the industry. The resulting shutdown has disrupted fuel supply across the eastern United States, triggered isolated sales restrictions at retail pumps and pushed benchmark gasoline prices to a three-year high.
U.S. lawmakers urged stronger protections for critical U.S. energy infrastructure, and the White House has made restarting the fuel network a top priority and organized a federal task force to assess the impact and avoid more severe disruptions.
The southeastern United States would likely be the first to see price increases at retail pumps, and demand has already picked up as drivers fill their tanks. The southeast is the most dependent on the line and has fewer alternatives than states further north, and has seen prices spike during previous shutdowns.
“My biggest concern, as far as the consumer goes, is that you end up with a run on the gasoline supplies at the gas station, further exacerbating what is happening at the terminals,” said Andrew Lipow, president of consultants Lipow Oil Associates LLC.
While the U.S. government investigation into the attack is in its early stages, a former U.S. official and three industry sources said the hackers are suspected to be a cybercriminal group called DarkSide.
Cybersecurity experts said the group appears to be composed of veteran cybercriminals focused on squeezing as much money as they can from their targets.
Colonial said on Sunday it restarted some smaller lines between fuel terminals and customer delivery points but its main lines remained shut. It did not provide a timeline for a full restart of the 5,500 mile (8,850 km) system.
The pipeline system is the primary fuel artery from Gulf Coast refineries to Mid-Atlantic and southeast states. It moves over 2.5 million barrels per day (bpd) of gasoline, diesel and jet fuel, supplying motorists and major airports.
The Department of Transportation announced emergency measures on Sunday to facilitate deliveries, lifting driver restrictions on fuel haulers in 17 states affected by the shutdown. It could take additional measures if the outage continues.
Traders provisionally booked at least six tankers to ship gasoline from Europe to U.S. destinations following the attack. Two European gasoline traders, however, said the market was taking a cautious approach to see how long the shutdown would last.
The line supplies jet fuel to major airports including the nation’s busiest, Hartsfield-Jackson International in Atlanta. The airport expects the outage to be resolved before any impact on flights, a spokesman said.
An alternative, smaller conduit that serves the same region has already filled. Kinder Morgan Inc (NYSE:)’s 720,000-bpd fuel pipeline had been working with customers to take on additional volumes since Friday and reached full capacity for May on Sunday, a spokeswoman for the company told Reuters.
If the disruption stretches on, fuel suppliers would need to use trucks and rail to transport fuel to compensate.
“A Herculean effort would be needed from other sources to make up the shortfall (in the East Coast,) if the pipeline disruption is prolonged,” RBC Capital Markets wrote in a note.
Gulf Coast refiner Valero Energy (NYSE:) chartered a tanker to store fuel offshore that it is unable to pump through the pipeline, and other refiners were looking to do the same, market participants said.
Today: The CEOs of major social media platforms are gearing up to testify before a House committee tomorrow on misinformation around COVID-19 and the recent Capitol riot. Meanwhile, a group of 12 state attorneys general are pressuring Facebook and Twitter to tackle COVID-19 vaccine misinformation, and two lawmakers reintroduced legislation aimed at making internet-connected devices safer for the consumer.
TECH HEARING TIME AGAIN: The CEOs of the country’s biggest social media platforms will testify Thursday before a Congress eager to press them on their roles spreading misinformation related to coronavirus and the lead-up to the deadly insurrection at the Capitol in January.
What to expect: The hearing will likely focus on the part the massive platforms play in spreading potentially dangerous misinformation — ranging from election result conspiracies to lies about the coronavirus vaccine — and a suite of proposed and forthcoming legislative fixes to Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, which gives platforms liability protection from content posted by third parties and allows them to safely moderate.
All three companies have highlighted their work on content moderation and new policies recently, hinting at how they will approach the hearing.
HERE’S WHAT THE CEOS WILL SAY: Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg is set to propose a reform to legal liability protections for tech firms during congressional testimony on Thursday.
In prepared remarks released Wednesday, Zuckerberg argues that the immunity granted by Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act for third-party posts should be conditioned on platforms adhering to best practices for removing unlawful content.
“Instead of being granted immunity, platforms should be required to demonstrate that they have systems in place for identifying unlawful content and removing it,” he is set to tell the House Energy and Commerce Committee.
Google’s plans: Pichai’s testimony appears to hew to a more cautious approach to Section 230, warning that repealing it could hamper efforts to address misinformation.
Twitter’s input: Dorsey’s prepared remarks focus less on legislative fixes and more on the content and policy decisions that Twitter has made recently to rein in misinformation.
STATE AGS ON THEIR CASE: A group of 12 state attorneys general sent a letter to Facebook and Twitter on Wednesday urging them to more aggressively enforce platform policies against coronavirus vaccine misinformation.
Led by Connecticut Attorney General William Tong (D), the group argues that content on the social media sites are increasing vaccine hesitancy, which will “slow economic recovery and, more importantly, ultimately cause even more unnecessary deaths.”
Bad data: The letter points to a report released by the Center for Countering Digital Hate Wednesday that claims that anti-vaccine accounts on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Youtube have more than 59 million followers.
The study also found that the personal accounts and associated organizations of 12 prominent figures account for upward of 60 percent of anti-vaccine content on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, which is owned by Facebook.
“Social media is enabling anti-vaxxers to recruit millions of Americans and indoctrinate them with fear and doubt,” Imran Ahmed, CEO of the center, said in a statement on the report’s release. “If Big Tech companies don’t act now, the pandemic will be prolonged, and more lives will be lost.”
The commission will be co-chaired by journalist Katie Couric, former Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) director Christopher Krebs, and Rashad Robinson, president of Color of Change.
The Cyber Shield Act would create a voluntary cybersecurity certification program for internet-connected devices, also known as Internet of Things (IoT) devices. These include everything from mobile phones to smart kitchen appliances to baby monitors, with more devices in use every year.
Stamp of approval: The bill would also establish an advisory committee made up of cybersecurity experts in government, the private sector and academia to create security benchmarks for internet-connected devices. The benchmarks would enable the devices’ manufacturers to voluntarily label their products to show they have met these standards.
FACEBOOK TAKES ACTION: Facebook on Wednesday announced that it had taken steps to disrupt efforts of Chinese hacking groups to target and surveil members of the Uyghur community both in China and abroad.
Two senior Facebook officials noted in a blog post that a Chinese hacking group known as “Evil Eye” or “Earth Empusa” had been targeting journalists, activists and dissidents in the global Uyghur community.
The Chinese government has taken increasingly hostile measures against the minority Muslim community, which mostly lives in the Xinjiang province of China.
According to Facebook, the hackers had attempted to install malware viruses on the mobile devices of their targets in order to enable surveillance activities. The hackers used Facebook to send links to malicious websites to the victims, who included those living in the United States, Australia, Turkey, Syria, Kazakhstan, Canada and other countries outside of China.
MAJOR INVESTMENT: Intel is investing in new chipmaking plants in Arizona as it struggles to keep up with competitors in the high-tech manufacturing field.
The Associated Press reported that the company said at a press conference on Tuesday that it would create two new facilities in Arizona employing about 3,000 people in total.
Intel has reportedly struggled to streamline its microchip manufacturing process in the face of competition and will be eligible for around $ 90 million in tax credits should it follow through with its plans in Arizona. Arizona lawmakers rushed through more funding for tax credits just ahead of the company’s announcement, the AP noted.
NEW WAY TO GET PRESCRIPTIONS: Uber announced on Wednesday that it is expanding its prescription delivery service.
The ride-sharing forum said in a blog post that it is partnering with prescription drug delivery service ScriptDrop, a partnership that would allow pharmacies in 37 states to offer delivery services.
The company plans on expanding the service in “the coming weeks and months”
Barcelona president-elect Joan Laporta was said to be facing a race against time to raise the necessary funds to complete his bid for the club’s top job, or face a second election.
The 58-year-old Laporta was elected to the Barcelona presidency for the second time earlier this month. Laporta previously held the position between 2003 and 2010 – a spell which arguably coincided with the Catalan giants’ best spell of football under first Frank Rijkaard and then Pep Guardiola. Also on rt.comNew Barcelona president Joan Laporta ‘targeting Erling Haaland & David Alaba’ in Camp Nou overhaul despite reported debt of $ 1BN
However, Laporta faced an anxious scramble to see if his election will be realized after it emerged that he was significantly short when it comes to required funds in order to take the position.
Per the terms of his election, he must present a bank guarantee worth 15 percent of Barcelona’s budget within 10 days of his election – which means Wednesday of this week.
The sum he needs to raise is understood to be €125 million ($ 149 million).
The bank guarantee must also be ratified by La Liga to receive official approval. Barcelona have found themselves in an unenviable financial position due to the mismanagement of former presidents Josep Maria Bartomeu and Sandro Rosell, with their current debt estimated to be in advance of €1 billion.
Laporta’s candidacy for the presidency was bolstered by the support of club talisman Lionel Messi and he defeated rivals Victor Font and Toni Freixa in the election. He campaigned, in part at least, by saying that he would do all in his power to retain Messi’s services at the club amid rumors that the Argentine may again campaign to leave upon the expiration of his contract this summer.
It is thought, or hoped at the very least, that Laporta’s stewardship of the famous club might held re-establish Barcelona’s status as Europe’s most successful club. During his first term in charge, the team won practically every trophy available to them – including three Champions Leagues. Also on rt.com‘Call me when you’re 18’: New Barca president Laporta clarifies ‘out of context’ election video with female fan
Laporta had also been speculated as considering the appointment of club legend Xavi into the Camp Nou dugout to replace current boss (and fellow former player) Ronald Koeman. Xavi was club captain for much of the glory days in Laporta’s first reign.
If Laporta doesn’t raise the required funds, an interim president would be appointed who will oversee a brand new election – and the entire process begin all over again.
As the deadline ticked down, reports in Spain claimed that Laporta had managed to secure funds through Banco de Sabadell and Audax, although La Liga will still need to validate his approval as president.