Tag Archives: sends

Queen sends clear message she is ‘not stepping down’ after snubbing Oldie of Year award

Queen sends clear message she is 'not stepping down' after snubbing Oldie of Year award

The monarch, 95, declined the award as she believes “you are only as old as you feel”. Royal biographer Angela Levin said the Queen refusing the accolade could be a hint she is not going to step down from her duties.

Ms Levin tweeted: “I think that the Queen’s comment that you are ‘as old as you feel’ is also a nudge to let us all know she is not going to step down as monarch.”

In an earlier post, the royal author praised Her Majesty for her comments as she politely turned down the award.

Ms Levin said: “Absolutely wonderful. The Queen is absolutely spot on.”

Author and broadcaster Gyles Brandreth, chairman of the awards, wrote to the Queen’s private secretary, Sir Edward Young, to ask if she would accept the Oldie of the Year trophy.

But in a letter published in the November issue of The Oldie magazine, her assistant private secretary, Tom Laing-Baker, wrote: “Her Majesty believes you are as old as you feel, as such The Queen does not believe she meets the relevant criteria to be able to accept, and hopes you will find a more worthy recipient.”

The Duchess of Cornwall joined Mr Brandeth for The Oldie’s awards ceremony at The Savoy hotel in London on Tuesday.

Mr Brandreth said that actress Dame Maureen Lipman, one of the judges, raised the prospect of the magazine honouring the Queen in recognition of her leadership during the coronavirus pandemic and ahead of her Diamond Jubilee.

He described the letter he received from Balmoral Castle in response as “lovely”, writing: “Perhaps in the future we will sound out Her Majesty once more.”

READ MORE: ‘No doubt’ Prince William had hand in Megxit

In the end, the main Oldie of the Year award went to French-American actress and dancer Leslie Caron, who at 90 is five years younger than the Queen.

Former England footballer Sir Geoff Hurst, 79, won the Oldie Golden Boot of the Year and cook Delia Smith, 80, was honoured with the Truly Scrumptious Oldie award.

In a speech, Camilla, 74, joked about the downsides of ageing, saying: “I think those of us who have already passed our three score years and ten have to acknowledge that there are certain disadvantages to growing older.”

She added: “There are times, I know, when we all experience those senior moments.

DON’T MISS
Camilla surprises in chic midi dress at ‘remarkable’ awards show [PICTURES]
Prince William ‘to lead royal events instead of Prince Charles’ [ANALYSIS]
Piers Morgan weighs in as the Queen turns down Oldie of the Year award [INSIGHT]

“But there are advantages to growing older, too – watching one’s children growing up, enjoying one’s grandchildren – knowing that they’ll be going home after the visit, finding more time to read, finding time to read The Oldie, and coming to jolly lunches like this one.”

The Queen, who is just five years away from her 100th birthday, is the nation’s longest-reigning monarch.

She is due to celebrate her Platinum Jubilee – 70 years on the throne – next year.

The head of state still keeps a busy diary of events and audiences and deals with her daily red boxes of official papers.

Last week, she used a walking stick for what is believed to be the first time at a major public event.

The late Prince Philip was named Oldie of the Year in 2011 to mark his 90th birthday.

The Duke of Edinburgh joked in a letter: “There is nothing like it for morale to be reminded that the years are passing – ever more quickly – and that bits are beginning to drop off the ancient frame.

“But it is nice to be remembered at all.”

Read more here Daily Express :: Royal Feed

Andy Murray sends message to UK Government over Emma Raducanu – ‘Not really good enough’

Murray, a three-time Grand Slam champion, said her success should help fuel a concerted effort to make British tennis become less exclusive. 

He added: “One of the images that tennis has had over the years has just been that it’s not accessible enough, I think. 

“If your image is that – that it’s a rich person’s sport and it’s too expensive to play – I’m sure that that potentially puts people off, maybe parents as well getting their kids into it.”

Murray’s calls for greater accessibility were echoed by the Lawn Tennis Association in the wake of Raducanu’s monumental victory.

LTA chief executive Scott Lloyd is hoping to refurbish public park courts that are deteriorating around the UK. 

Adblock test (Why?)

Read more here Daily Express :: Sport Feed

Andy Murray sends message to UK Government over Emma Raducanu – ‘Not really good enough’

Emma Raducanu reacts to messages from the royal family

Sign up for

FREE

tennis updates from on and off the court


Invalid email

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time.

More info

Tennis icon

Andy Murray

has called for more investment in the sport at grassroots level after

Emma Raducanu

’s historic US Open win – and said the state of British tennis is not good enough. Raducanu made history at Flushing Meadows, becoming the first qualifier to win a Grand Slam title in just her second appearance at such a tournament, doing so without dropping a set.

Related articles

The 18-year-old is also the first British woman to win a major singles title since Virigina Wade at Wimbledon in 1977.

Before Raducanu’s triumph, Murray was the last Briton to win a Grand Slam when he was triumphant at Wimbledon in 2016, so he understands the weight of her achievement.

The 34-year-old believes the UK should have more tennis champions however.

He called on the government and other bodies to seize the opportunity that Raducanu’s spectacular success has created given the rise in interest back in Britain.


JUST IN:

Emma Raducanu returns to training as she eyes next tournament



Andy Murray called on British tennis to improve and add to his and Emma Raducanu’s victories

(Image: GETTY)

“On the men’s side, it was 77 years’ wait for someone to win a Grand Slam and women’s, it’s been 44 years,” said Murray.

“For a country that hosts the biggest tennis tournament in the world and certainly not lacking in money, that’s not really good enough.

“Now should be an opportunity to try to make sure it’s not another huge wait. They need to try to take the opportunity.”

Raducanu is reportedly in line for a CBE from the Queen while she is the favourite to win Sports Personality of the Year.

Related articles

READ MORE

Murray, a three-time Grand Slam champion, said her success should help fuel a concerted effort to make British tennis become less exclusive.

He added: “One of the images that tennis has had over the years has just been that it’s not accessible enough, I think.

“If your image is that – that it’s a rich person’s sport and it’s too expensive to play – I’m sure that that potentially puts people off, maybe parents as well getting their kids into it.”

Murray’s calls for greater accessibility were echoed by the Lawn Tennis Association in the wake of Raducanu’s monumental victory.

LTA chief executive Scott Lloyd is hoping to refurbish public park courts that are deteriorating around the UK.



Andy Murray was eliminated in the first round at the US Open by Stefanos Tsitsipas

(Image: GETTY)

READ MORE

Lloyd claimed 40 per cent of such courts are in ‘poor or unplayable condition’.

“Our vision for the LTA is to open up tennis and to do that we need to ensure that the public facilities available for anyone to play are on there,” Lloyd told the BBC.

“We have invested £8.5million into local authorities to start the journey of putting them back into long-term sustainable use.

“But we’re also very keen to work with Government to ensure we can finish that job and we think that’s about another £15-20million worth of funding that could see 1,800 tennis courts in parks come back into use.”

Murray is in action on Tuesday against France’s Ugo Humbert in the round of 32 at the Moselle Open.

Related articles

Read more here Daily Express :: Sport Feed

Azerbaijan sends AstraZeneca vaccine to Dushanbe via AZAL plane (PHOTO)

BAKU, Azerbaijan, July 20

Trend:

Another plane of the Azerbaijan Airlines (AZAL) with 40,000 doses of AstraZeneca vaccine against COVID-19 on board landed at the Dushanbe International Airport in Tajikistan on July 20, Trend reports with reference to AZAL.


Some 40,000 doses of vaccine against COVID-19 were also supplied to Bosnia and Herzegovina to combat the spread of COVID-19 as humanitarian aid upon President of Azerbaijan Ilham Aliyev’s instructions.

Read more
This post originally posted here Trend – News from Azerbaijan, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Iran and Turkey.