The global diabetes community draw attention to necrobiosis lipoidica diabeticorum (NLD) – a skin condition whereby lesions develop on the lower parts of the legs. Described as “shiny” and “red-brown” in colour, the patches can be between 1-2mm in size. As time goes on, these small patches can grow bigger and bigger, becoming progressively yellow in colouring. Interestingly, the presence of NLD preceded the onset of diabetes in 15 percent of patients involved in a research study conducted by MH Lowitt and JS Dover.
The American Diabetes Association added that some people with high blood sugar might experience diabetic dermopathy.
This skin condition looks like “light brown, scaly patches” that are oval or circular in shape.
Easily mistaken as age spots, patches of diabetic dermopathy typically occur on the shins.
Medical News Today pointed out that the marks may come and go, but tend to appear on both shins at the same time, usually measuring up to 2.5cm or less.
How to lower high blood sugar levels
The NHS recommend exercising more often to help lower blood sugar levels.
This might involve going for a brisk 30-minute walk daily, which can be extremely helpful in preventing further health complications.
The national health body also advise to “drink plenty of sugar-free fluids”, such as water.
You also need to be mindful of what you eat, avoiding foods that can cause blood sugar levels to spike, such as cakes.
Over the last 10 years, the number of people diagnosed with melanoma in the UK has increased by almost half. With this worrying statistic in mind, what are the main skin signs you need to be aware of warning of your risk of skin cancer? Chief Scientific Officer, Eve Casha from Dermoi spoke exclusively with Express.co.uk to offer her insight including the eight main signs of skin cancer to spot.
Skin cancer is abnormal and unregulated growth of skin cells, said Eve.
She added: “There are two main categories of skin cancers.
“One category which is the deadliest is malignant melanoma (MM).
“This cancer forms in the epidermal melanocytes of the skin and has the tendency to metastasize.
“The second category is non-malignant skin cancer (NMSC).
“This category includes basal cell carcinomas, skin cancers of the basal cells found in the bottom layer of the epidermis, as well as squamous cell carcinoma which occurs in the squamous cells of the epidermis.
“These cancers tend to be less deadly as they are more likely to localize to a specific region.”
When asked about the main causes of skin cancer, Eve answered: “There are many potential causes of skin cancer.
“Firstly, UV exposure is scientifically correlated with skin cancer. This is because exposure to UV radiation from sunlight causes DNA mutation, oxidative stress, and suppression of the immune system (the immune system plays a key role in cancer prevention).
“Genetic predisposition as well as environmental factors such as stress, pollution, diet, smoking habits, sleep, are also implicated as contributing factors to development of skin cancers.
“Every skin tone and skin type is at risk for skin cancers (both types).
Fortnite developer Epic Games is teasing a big new update for Battle Royale.
Despite rumours that Fortnite update 17.20 has been delayed until July 13, Epic appears to be planning to introduce new features sooner rather than later.
A post on the official Epic Games Twitter page warns that players should be on high alert for invading alien troops.
“Heads up Saucers, this one’s a doozy!” reads an official Epic tweet. “Just intercepted an IO call that Alien ground troops have begun mobilizing west. Islanders should be on high alert.”
Interestingly, as you can see from the HYPEX tweet below, Epic has posted alternative teasers in other territories.
One of the images suggests Epic will add a brand new underground POI to the map. The underground location features a huge UFO buried under rubble.
As HYPEX points out, Epic could be planning to release a content update on July 6, to make up for the lack of a major new download. Express Online will keep this story updated with any new developments.
Elsewhere, it has been confirmed that Epic is getting ready to release a new LeBron James skin, which will be part of the Icon series.
The LeBron James skin will reportedly launch alongside a selection of new challenges, as well as a special Golden Slider.
With a new update inbound, you can see a selection of early patch notes and the main issues being investigated below.
Fortnite update 17.20 patch notes…
• The button for Arena Division/tournament details is currently unresponsive on controller.
– We’re aware the button for Arena Division/tournament details is currently unresponsive on controller. We’re working on a fix for this issue.
• ‘Hold Inventory button’ shortcut for accessing the Crafting menu is not working.
– The ‘Hold Inventory button’ shortcut for the Crafting menu simply leads to the Inventory menu instead of the Crafting menu.
• Player can encounter infinite loading screen when flying out of Island.
– We’re investigating an issue that is causing players to encounter infinite loading screen when flying out of the Island.
Save the World…
• Saurian Vigor perk stops working after respawn
– The Saurian Vigor Perk (Restores Health every 5 seconds) would stop working after a player respawned.
General Issues being investigated…
• Xbox players being exited from party when returning to Lobby.
– Xbox players may be exited from their party when returning to the Lobby. (Please note that affected players are not blocked from reuniting with the party.)
• New items automatically equipped after being picked up.
– New items being picked up will be automatically equipped under some circumstances.
• Unable to perform Last Forever Emote.
– Players may be unable to perform the Last Forever Emote after selecting it.
• Difficulty scrolling through player list in Voice Chat tab on controller.
– Players on controller may have difficulty scrolling through the player list in the Voice Chat tab if the player list is long.
• Xbox players may be unable to re-subscribe to Fortnite Crew.
– Xbox players may be unable to re-subscribe to the Fortnite Crew due to any outstanding balances on the account. The UI may catch players in a loop and will need to be resolved via Xbox’s account management website.
Battle Royale Issues being investigated…
• Epic Chests may sometimes not provide any weapons in Arena.
– We’re aware that sometimes players may search an Epic Chest in Arena and receive no weapon. We’re investigating the issue.
• Unable to fish while inside certain vehicles.
– We’re aware of an issue preventing players from using a Fishing Rod while in the passenger seat of a Motorboat or in the pick-up bed of an OG Bear truck.
• Props drive vehicles erratically.
– Driving a vehicle while Disguised as a Prop causes the vehicle to drive erratically.
• Cannot open Cosmic Chest if a player left the team.
– If a player leaves the team during a match, the team will be unable to open up a Cosmic Chest in the match.
• “Bars” showing up as 0 in the Lobby upon opening the game.
– Upon opening the game, players’ Bar total will show up as 0 in the Lobby. This issue is visual only: players still have all of their Bars.
• Cosmic Chest timers may remain on screen if a Bounty is poached.
– Players may continue to see the Cosmic Chest timer at 0:00 if they have an active Bounty that is poached by an enemy player while they are opening the chest.
• Fire temporarily disabled in Battle Lab.
– To address a stability issue, fire has been temporarily disabled in Battle Lab.
Fortnite fans have been given the best reason yet to subscribe to the Crew service.
The next Fortnite Crew membership perk has been announced for July, and it’s easily one of the best yet.
As announced on Twitter, Loki will be the July 2021 monthly Fortnite Crew skin.
The new Loki skin is expected to have a July 1 release date on PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X, Xbox One, PC, Nintendo Switch and Android.
“It seems Mecha Cuddle Master wasn’t the only one who found their way to the Island,” reads an Epic Games tweet.
“Looks like a trickster snuck his way through the portal and into the Fortnite Crew this July.”
If you want to obtain the new Loki skin, then the only way to get it is by signing up to the Fortnite Crew scheme.
The Fortnite Crew subscription can be purchased directly from the item shop or Battle Pass section from the menu screen.
Fortnite Crew memberships cost £9.99 a month, and can be cancelled at any time.
As part of the Fortnite Crew membership, subscribers get an exclusive outfit bundle, which includes accessories.
“The Crew Pack is an exclusive outfit bundle that’s yours to keep, and special items are curated for the Pack monthly,” Epic explains.
“Each month’s Crew Pack features an exclusive new outfit plus at least one matching accessory like a Glider, Pickaxe, or Emote.”
With Loki launching soon, subscribers only have a few days left to grab the June Pack, which is headlined by the Mecha Cuddle Master.
That’s on top of the Psytronic Bow Back Bling, the Nuzzle Jet Pickaxe, and Cuddle Mech Wrap. The outfit, back bling, and pickaxe come in three styles.
In addition to new skins and items, subscribers will receive 1,000 V-Bucks a month, which can be used to buy new items.
“Each month you’ll receive 1,000 V-Bucks that you can put towards the hottest outfits, Emotes, and more. And with the included Battle Pass, you’ll be able to unlock even more V-Bucks.”
Finally, Crew members will also have access to the current Battle Pass, as well as any future Battle Passes while they’re subscribed.
“Member of the Fortnite Crew? Congrats, you’ll have full access to the current seasons’ Battle Pass, and you’ll continue to receive future Battle Passes with your subscription. Unlock 100 awesome Battle Pass rewards just by playing Fortnite.”
It is easy to get concerned when the body undergoes changes and lumps and bumps are a common source of anxiety. Speaking to Phillip Schofield and Holly Willoughby on This Morning, Dr Sara issued some essential advice. The most important consideration is “what is your normal”, she said.
How to tell if your lump is cancerous
According to Bupa, the first sign of testicular cancer is a swollen testicle or a hard lump on your testicle.
“Usually, you won’t have a painful testicle but you might feel pain or discomfort in your scrotum,” explains the health body.
There are additional symptoms that can signal testicular cancer too.
Other testicular cancer symptoms include:
A pulling sensation or heavy feeling in your scrotum
A testicle that looks bigger than usual
A dull ache in your lower tummy
A collection of fluid in your scrotum (called a hydrocoele).
How to tell your lump is a sign of breast cancer
“The first symptom of breast cancer most people notice is a lump in their breast or some thickening,” explains Cancer Research UK.
A lump or swelling in your armpit is also telltale sign of breast cancer, warns the charity.
“A less common cause of swollen lymph glands or lump in the armpit is breast cancer that has spread to this area,” explains the health body.
“It is important to always get a breast lump checked by your doctor.”
A more benign cause of lumps is a skin cyst, noted Dr Sara.
A skin cyst is a fluid-filled lump just underneath the skin.
“It’s common and harmless, and may disappear without treatment,” explains the NHS.
Lumps can also be a sign of an abscess – a painful collection of pus, usually caused by a bacterial infection, explained Dr Sara.
“Regular examination of the skin for any new or unusual growths, or changes in the size, shape or colour of an existing spot, is key to finding and treating skin cancers early,” said the Cancer Treatment Centers of America.
“If you find anything suspicious, you should discuss it with your primary care physician or a dermatologist.
“While many skin cancers develop in areas exposed to the sun, they may also develop in areas that are usually hidden from the sun. It is important to examine all of these areas.
“In addition to examining the legs, trunk, arms, face and neck, it is important to look for signs of skin cancer in the areas between the toes, underneath nails, palms of the hands and soles of the feet, genitals and even the eyes.”
Hot sunny days have been a treat for Brits in recent days, with soaring temperatures reaching up to 29C. Brits have flocked to parks, beaches, gardens to soak up the sun, however, an unfortunate side effect of too much time in the sun and not enough suncream can be sunburn.
Sunburn can strike if the suncream you are wearing has worn away if unprotected areas are exposed to the sun and if your suncream is not high enough factor to prevent sunburn.
We’ve all accidentally sat in the sun too long, forgotten to wear suncream or had a piece of clothing slip and expose skin to the sun without knowing.
Sunburn can cause hot, red and angry skin which is painful, often preventing sleep and causing discomfort.
So what can you do to soothe sunburnt skin? Read on for five top tips.