Tag Archives: slams

Star Wars editor slams ‘terrible’ storylines – ‘Kathleen Kennedy doesn’t have a clue’

STAR WARS: The ex-wife of George Lucas and the former editor of the original trilogy has spoken out against the latest films in the franchise while slamming the series studio head, Kathleen Kennedy, as well as director JJ Abrams.

Read more here Daily Express :: Films Feed

England’s Mings slams UK’s home secretary over racism remarks

England’s football player Tyrone Mings says Patel ‘stoked the fire’ with her comments about players taking the knee.

England’s football player Tyrone Mings has criticised Home Secretary Priti Patel, saying she had “stoked the fire” by defending fans who booed Black players taking the knee during Euro 2020 final with Italy.

Patel had previously said taking the knee was “gesture politics” and Prime Minister Boris Johnson, who has enthusiastically waged verbal war on so-called woke politics, had also equivocated for days over the issue.

Patel had said on Monday the online racial abuse of the three Black players – Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho and Bukayo Saka – after missing penalties in the shoot-out defeat by Italy was “disgusting”, but Mings issued a stinging response.

“You don’t get to stoke the fire at the beginning of the tournament by labelling our anti-racism message as ‘Gesture Politics’ and then pretend to be disgusted when the very thing we’re campaigning against, happens,” he tweeted.

Patel had previously said taking the knee was ‘gesture politics’ [File: Hannah McKay/Reuters]

The allegation of hypocrisy levelled against the government by Mings and even some Conservative MPs is particularly dangerous for Johnson, as the England team basks in widespread sympathy after its agonising loss.

Rashford had become a hero to many inside and outside football by successfully lobbying Johnson to provide free school meals for underprivileged children during the coronavirus pandemic.

“I’m Marcus Rashford, 23-year-old black man from Withington and Wythenshawe, South Manchester. If I have nothing else I have that,” the Manchester United forward wrote on Twitter.

“I can take critique of my performance all day long, my penalty was not good enough, it should have gone in but I will never apologise for who I am and where I came from,” Rashford added.

Images on social media showed a mural honouring Rashford in Withington had been defaced before locals covered the hateful language with messages of support.

“Seeing the response in Withington had me on the verge of tears,” Rashford said, as sympathisers planned a protest at the mural later on Tuesday.

Premier League teams have taken the knee since last year following the murder of George Floyd at the hands of a white police officer in the United States.

‘The painful truth’

Patel’s fellow Conservative legislator and former defence minister Johnny Mercer said: “The painful truth is that this guy (Mings) is completely right.

“Very uncomfortable with the position we Conservatives are needlessly forcing ourselves into.”

England manager Gareth Southgate said the online abuse was “unforgivable”, and team captain Harry Kane also lashed out at the trolls.

“Three lads who were brilliant all summer had the courage to step up and take a pen (penalty) when the stakes were high,” he said.

“They deserve support and backing, not the vile racist abuse they’ve had.

“If you abuse anyone on social media you’re not an England fan and we don’t want you.”

The racist attacks have also been strongly condemned by the English Football Association. Its president, Prince William, said he was “sickened” by the abuse.

‘Urgent need for action’

At a cabinet meeting, Johnson told his ministers that “the abuse was utterly disgraceful and has emerged from the dark spaces of the internet,” according to his spokesman.

He said that in his meeting later on Tuesday with representatives of social media companies, the prime minister will “reiterate the urgent need for action, ahead of tougher laws coming into force” in the UK.

The government’s planned “online harms bill” will, for the first time, bring firms such as Facebook and Twitter within the orbit of the UK’s communications regulator.

Under the bill, if social media companies fail to take down abusive content promptly, they could be fined up to £18 million ($ 25m) or 10 percent of their annual global turnover, whichever is higher.

Street artist Akse P19 repairs the mural of Manchester United striker and England player Marcus Rashford on the wall of the Coffee House Cafe on Copson Street, in Withington, Manchester [Jon Super/AP]

Read more
This post originally posted here Al Jazeera – Breaking News, World News and Video from Al Jazeera

‘Get educated!’ Dan Walker slams culprits who sent players racial abuse after Euro defeat

Following a nail-biting game, England and Italy went head-to-head in a penalty shootout in a bid to win the Euro 2020 trophy. Gareth Southgate’s Three Lions unfortunately lost to their rivals after the final penalty, taken by Bukayo Saka, was saved.

His fellow teammates Marcus Rashford and Jadon Sancho also didn’t manage to get the ball in the goal.

Since England’s defeat, the three players have been subjected to racial abuse online.

Dan Walker, amongst other celebrities, have spoken out to condemn the behaviour on social media.

Taking to his Instagram page today, the BBC Breakfast star shared a picture of the England squad having a group hug following their loss.

READ MORE: John McEnroe’s rant about royals at Wimbledon: ‘They should bow!’

“I know a lot has come from abroad. People who track those things have been able to explain that. But not all of it.

“It’s just not what we stand for. We have been a beacon of light in bringing people together in people being able to relate to the national team, and the national team stands for everybody and so that togetherness has to continue.

“We heal together as a team now, and we’re there for them, and I know that 99 per cent of the public will be as well.”

He added of his youngest player: “Bukayo in particular has been an absolute star in this tournament.

Brit slams green list tests as way for Government to ‘make money’ – ‘wouldn’t do it again’

Gibraltar has been on the Government’s green list for travel since May, meaning Britons can fly off to the overseas territory without the need to self-isolate on their return home. While the experience may sound straightforward, it’s one that comes at a soaring cost.

According to Emma, a London-based recruiter, it is this element of the restrictions around travel that put her off jetting off to another green country in the future.

Emma and her friends made the last-minute decision to switch their long weekend holiday booking from Ibiza to Gibraltar after it became clear Spain would not make it onto the green list.

“We were kind of watching the news and thought: ‘This doesn’t look good,’” she told Express.co.uk.

“We had kind of heard the rumours popping up on Twitter and said: ‘Should we do it?’

“We just switched everything before the actual announcement came out, but within 24 hours of that announcement, there wasn’t a single hotel room left in Gibraltar. We got really lucky.

READ MORE: Spain quarantine rules backlash: ‘Avoid Spain at all costs’

To travel back to the UK from a green list country, arrivals must take a COVID-19 test within 72 hours before departure – a rule the women were prepared for.

Yet, according to Emma, it seems the Government are keen to “make money” from these rules.

She explained: “You get a test when you arrive in Gibraltar, but to get back into Britain, it’s actually quite a lot of work.

“Even though you get a test when you arrive, and my test was within the 72 hours of me returning, the free test from the Gibraltar authorities doesn’t count as a UK recognised test, even though it’s a part of the UK.”

She continued: “We had to pay to get another departure test, literally the same day 15 minutes after the first test, at the cost of £30 because it comes with a UK QR code.

“This is despite the fact they are administered in the exact same place, the exact same way, from the exact same people.

“But the UK one cost us £30 because it comes with a certificate and not just a text message, which was quite annoying.”

Though Emma is fully vaccinated, she points to an additional cost which the particularly vaccinated members of her travel party were also slapped with.

“Two of the girls had only had one vaccine but only found out that non-vaccinated people needed a negative test at the airport.

“We had booked everything and we had already checked it.

“We had completed all of our Passenger Locator Forms and booked our test for arrival.

“Then one of us just happened to check and found that out.

“Considering Gibraltar had all of our contact details, no one emailed or texted.

“The UK Government didn’t text us, and the airline didn’t let us know.”

She added: “A lot of people were complaining when they went because they got slammed at the airport with extra tests. A lot of people were moaning.”

Emma, who is fully vaccinated, says it is these costly requirements that make holidays in the near future out of reach for many, including herself.

“It’s a risk,” she said.

“For a weekend trip, I probably wouldn’t do it again.

“If I was going to go abroad for a little bit longer, maybe, but then you get the scramble like when Portugal was moved from the green list to the amber list.

“If Britain decides to change their mind, you’re potentially screwed.

“So I probably won’t travel too much.”

She added: “It’s just an annoyance because you don’t have a choice if you have to quarantine.

“Test to release is a lot [of money].

“So unless your work is very, very flexible, or you are an office worker who gets to work from home it’s not worth the risk.”

Author: Aimee Robinson
Read more here >>> Daily Express

Briton slams EU restrictions after losing holiday money – ‘it has been a nightmare’

Due to concerns about the Delta variant, some EU countries like France, Germany, Portugal or Italy, have tightened entry restrictions on UK tourists, imposing mandatory quarantine for non-vaccinated Britons.

Some other nations like the Balearic Islands in Spain, are also urging Governments to impose tougher entry requirements for Britons going there on holiday.

Italy changed its rules last week without warning, introducing a mandatory five-day quarantine for all UK visitors.

A Briton who had a holiday booked in the country said it is “literally a nightmare” to go on holiday from the UK this summer.

“We had a trip booked to Italy and with the changes in the restrictions last week, we were forced to change our holiday completely.

“We lost a lot of money,” he admitted.

READ MORE: Camping and caravan: New bill threatens wild campers with jail time

“As we didn’t book directly with the airline, our travel agent charged us enormous fees to change the destination of our flights and didn’t allow us to get a refund.

“We have now rebooked flights for a destination that hasn’t imposed mandatory quarantine for Britons yet, which is Greece, but those ‘quarantine-free’ countries are now way more expensive,” he explained.

“It has literally been a nightmare trying to organise a holiday out of the UK this summer.”

When booking a holiday, now Britons have to take into consideration not only the UK’s traffic light system in case they have to self-isolate on their return, but also if the destination has imposed mandatory quarantine or has shut its borders to UK tourists completely.

What do you think? Join the debate in the comments section below

DON’T MISS

The holidaymaker continued: “The UK is in a tough situation right now. It is almost impossible to go on holiday from the UK.

“This summer is way worse than last summer in terms of being able to enter other countries.”

Italy is also on the UK’s amber travel list, meaning a mandatory at home quarantine is required upon return.

The holidaymaker explained that hotel owners in Italy seem “desperate” for Britons to go there, as some advised him to go anyway and suggested he could skip the quarantine.

“Obviously it’s hard to judge but we need some kind of clear indications, both from the UK and the EU side, so we know where to book our next holiday without being afraid restrictions might change in two days,” he said.

Although the majority of countries are following German and France suit and imposing stricter entry requirement for UK arrivals, other countries like Greece have refused to follow the EU’s steps.

Greece’s prime minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis slammed the potential ban and rejected calls from Angela Merkel for British tourists to be quarantined on arrival.

“My personal assessment is that there is no need to impose additional restrictions on travel from countries where this mutation already exists.

“At the end that is up to the individual member states to take those decisions,” he said.

Author: ANDREA BLAZQUEZ
Read more here >>> Daily Express

'There are too many snowflakes!' Anne Robinson slams society's 'unnecessary censorship'

Anne Robinson has returned to viewer’s screens as the new presenter of Countdown after taking over from Nick Hewer who recently stepped down from the role. The former Weakest Link host, who was branded the Queen of Mean, has hit back at the amount of “censorship” currently imposed on society.

The 76-year-old has claimed that the Weakest Link would not have been made today.

It comes after Anne addressed remarks she previously made on the BBC quiz programme.

The new Channel 4 presenter admitted she will not be calling any of the Countdown contestants “stupid” after the small-screen star was known for dishing out harsh criticism to quiz player’s on her former BBC show.

Anne agreed that Weakest Link could not be made now, for fear of the effect on contestants’ mental health.

READ MORE: Dan Walker’s parting post as BBC host bids farewell to colleague ‘Sad’  

She told the BBC: “I hate it that television, newspapers and charities are all pandering to it.

“Instead of supporting the people who support their newspaper or their charity.”

Anne has since taken over the famous Countdown chair, replacing Nick, with her first instalment going out to fans this week.

Speaking ahead of her debut on the Channel 4 programme, she admitted that while Nick may have been on hand to offer support, she isn’t in need of any.

Anne said that her way of filming the show will be completely different to Nick’s.

“Nick offered that if I wanted to call him, I could do,” she said.

The Crosby-born star went on to say: “But I thought I should just do what I want to do.

“There’s three shows where you’ve got 10 minutes to come off, get changed and do you hair.”

You can read the full interview in this week’s Radio Times out now.

Author:
This post originally appeared on Daily Express :: Celebrity News Feed

Greece slams EU travel ban on Britons – 'no need to impose additional restrictions!'

Both German and French governments are plotting to try to stop British holidaymakers from travelling to all EU countries. Angela Merkel and Emmanuel Macron have said they might have to resort to banning Britons from visiting the European mainland.

Ms Merkel’s call for other EU countries to follow Germany’s lead comes due to the high level of infection in the UK of the Delta Covid variant.

However, Mr Mitsotakis slammed disagreed with the chancellor.

Speaking at the summit, he said: “Regarding the Delta variant, in my intervention I said that we should not adopt a logic of new restrictions but, on the contrary, accelerate the vaccinations.

“As I said yesterday, those who have been vaccinated are protected, those who have not been vaccinated are in danger.”

The Greek prime minister later spoke to journalists at the end of the summit, adding: “My personal assessment – which I believe is shared by the majority of the European Council – is that there is no need to impose additional restrictions on travel from countries where this mutation already exists and its spread is more pronounced.

“There is an answer to the question of variants – and in particular the Delta variants – and that is to speed up the vaccination process.”

DON’T MISS: 

Dutch prime minister Mark Rutte sided with Mr Mitsotakis.

He said: “At the end that is up to the individual member states to take those decisions.

“We see some differences now, for example Malta and Spain, being a bit more lenient, maybe some other member states but that’s up to them, they can do that.”

Meanwhile, José Ramón Bauzà, former President of the Balearic Islands, said countries should focus on vaccination rates.

Mediterranean nations heavily reliant on tourism want to open their borders to Britons, while France and Germany have other ideas.

Ms Merkel said: “In Great Britain and Israel, who are further ahead with the vaccinations, we see strongly increasing incidence rates and we also see hospitalisations apparently increase with this variant.

“I can only continue to make a case to continue to be careful.”

Additionally, Mr Macron said there was a need to “stay vigilant” and “harmonise our rules on opening to third countries”, such as the UK.

Meanwhile, Ursula von der Leyen, the president of the European Commission, also highlighted the need for vigilance.

She said: “We are worried about the Delta variant. If you look at the UK, there the Delta variant is by now dominant, 90 percent of the infections are the Delta variant.

“It is rapidly progressing also speeding up here. The good news is that is that we see that the vaccination protects. Double vaccination protects very effectively against the Delta variant. And a single vaccination or single shot at the beginning, gives at least a reduction of severe illness.

“But with this Delta variant, we need to stay vigilant. We need to stay very coordinated while restrictive measures are concerned. The typical things like masks and distance have to stay in place. And we need to vaccinate, vaccinate, vaccinate – that’s the best strategy against these variants.”

France and Germany are currently on the UK’s amber list, meaning Britons should not travel to the countries without good reason, and must quarantine on return to the UK.

Author:
This post originally appeared on Daily Express :: Travel Feed