Meghan Markle and Prince Harry appeared on Oprah for a bombshell tell-all interview that rocked the Royal Family in March 2021. The interview was nominated in the Best Hosted Non-Fiction Series category at the Emmys Awards, which recognises excellence in US TV.
The programme did not win the gong at the ceremony on Sunday though, instead Stanley Tucci’s CNN series “Searching for Italy” pipped Oprah’s royal interview to the post for the title.
Elsewhere in the category, the likes of David Letterman’s My Next Guest Needs No Introduction and United Shades Of America With W. Kamau Bell were also up for the accolade.
Express.co.uk is asking readers for their opinion on whether or not you think the interview should have won the gong, after the couple spoke with eye-opening candour and delivered jaw-dropping accusations and rebukes against the monarchy.
The interview, aired earlier this year, was watched by nearly 50 million people globally in the first three days, according to broadcaster CBS.
The televised interview marked the first TV appearance for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex following the events of Megxit the year prior, which saw them step away from royal duties and move to the US.
The highly anticipated open conversation between Oprah, Prince Harry and Meghan allowed the couple to share their side of the story about life in the Royal Family.
During the two-hour TV special, the Sussexes made claims that were explosive and potentially damaging to the Royal Family.
The couple openly spoke about their relationships with other royals, the racism they had faced and how their mental health suffered within The Firm.
READ MORE: Harry and Meghan’s Oprah interview loses at Emmys
The Duchess of Sussex also candidly spoke about her mental health struggles during her time as a senior royal, and claimed that she was on the verge of suicide but was refused help.
During the interview she said her mental health got so bad that she “didn’t want to be alive any more”.
She said: “I went to the institution and I said that I needed to go somewhere to get help, said I had never felt that way before and need to go somewhere, and I was told that I couldn’t, that it wouldn’t be good for the institution.”
Elsewhere, accusations were also made that there was a rift forming between Prince Harry, and his father Prince Charles.
After stepping back from the Royal Family, Harry said Charles “stopped taking my calls”, and the couple said a “lack of support and lack of understanding” was the simplest reason they stepped away from royal duties.
In a statement in the aftermath of the interview, Buckingham Palace said: “The whole family is saddened to learn the full extent of how challenging the last few years have been for Harry and Meghan.
“The issues raised, particularly that of race, are concerning. While some recollections may vary, they are taken very seriously and will be addressed by the family privately.”
Do you think the explosive interview should have claimed the gong at the Emmy Awards earlier this week? Vote in favour, or oppose in our exclusive poll and let us know what you think in the comments section.
Read more here Daily Express :: Royal Feed