TV chef Tom Kerridge, 46, told 27 expected customers that their behaviour was “disgraceful”, after they booked reservations at his restaurant Kerridge’s Bar and Grill last weekend but failed to show up. Addressing the row for the first time, the Michelin-starred chef revealed it is still “very disappointing”.
It’s very disappointing.
Tom slammed the no-shows for being the “worst kind of guest” on Monday, on finding out they didn’t turn up to his restaurant on Saturday night.
The star has now addressed the “disappointing” situation in an exclusive interview with Express.co.uk.
After being asked where he was at the time when he was informed of the situation, Tom divulged: “We get a service report every evening from each different space.
“So I get an email at the end of every night from each restaurant or pub that’s open, letting us know what happened,” he explained.
Tom Kerridge breaks silence after outburst over disgraceful customers
Tom Kerridge’s outburst after 27 customers didn’t show up to his restaurant
“So I found out on Saturday evening that those guests didn’t make it to the restaurant.”
He went on to announce: “It’s very disappointing and quite disheartening.”
Tom, who has recently reopened his eateries after lockdown restrictions eased, said it meant a quarter of his revenue was lost just days into resuming service once again.
After speaking out about how the culinary industry is on the verge of collapse, the chef admitted he wanted to highlight his experience as an “industry issue”.
Tom Kerridge says they are the ‘worst kind of guest’
Tom Kerridge speaks out about Pub in the Park
When Tom was asked whether he had spoken to any other chefs after Sunday Brunch’s host Simon Rimmer supported his online comments, he discussed: “We speak to each other all the time, there’s quite a few of us. We all know each other very well.
“So it was a great opportunity to, I suppose, highlight this as an industry issue and to make sure everyone recognises and understands it, it runs much deeper.”
He added: “It’s not about me or my restaurant or me personally, it’s about the people that are employed, it’s their livelihoods, their jobs, their careers, and that’s throughout the whole of the industry.
“It’s just very disappointing that people don’t let us know. Everyone’s trying to make sure that they move forward.”
Kate Garraway: Peter Andre’s wife addresses star’s husband’s health (LATEST)
Carol Klein: Gardeners’ World star issues warning to Zoe Ball (WATCH)
Monty Don: Gardeners’ World host issues warning after shock discovery (INSTAGRAM)
It comes after Tom shared a picture of Gerard Butler from the film, 300, to express his thoughts last week.
He wrote to his 429,000 Instagram followers: “To the 27 people that booked @kerridgesbandg and then failed to turn up on a Saturday night… This industry, like many others, is on the verge of collapse.
“Your behaviour is disgraceful, shortsighted and downright unhelpful… all of you ‘no shows’ in all restaurants up and down the country are adding to the issues already being faced… YOU are putting peoples jobs more at risk… we put staff levels to the number of covers booked and when you fail to turn up, it now costs us, which in turn will force very uncomfortable and hard decisions about staffing levels.”
He concluded: “You are the worst kind of guest, and that is ‘selfish’. I hope you have good look at yourselves…”
Meanwhile, Tom has launched a new drive-in Garden Party, with performances from Kaiser Chiefs, Keane, and Basement Jaxx, alongside food he has prepared himself and the likes of Atul Kochhar and Paul Ainsworth.
Speaking about the reaction he has received from Pub in the Park over the past five years, Tom shared: “It’s been really good fun to do, the energy about it, it’s been brilliant.
“It’s been a phenomenal kind of rise into being a great food and music festival.”
Pub in the Park’s Drive-in Garden Party is taking place September 4-20. Tickets go on sale tomorrow – please visit https://www.driveingardenparty.com/