Home U.K. ‘Totally unacceptable’ Actor Laurence Fox's critics blasted by free speech champion

‘Totally unacceptable’ Actor Laurence Fox's critics blasted by free speech champion

Laurence Fox shot to national notoriety after controversial comments on woke and cancel culture sparked fury on social media during his appearance on BBC Question Time last month. Mr Fox has since revealed the abuse he received online and the negative impact it had on his mental health. Director of the Free Speech Union Inaya Folarin Iman insisted that the abuse Mr Fox experienced was unacceptable and the importance of the union was to protect those who are targeted for abuse.

While on BBC Politics Live Ms Iman outlined how the Free Speech Union could be needed in the future. 

She said: “For example, a prominent feminist academic Kathleen Stock is needing security guards to do her job at university.

“We have even seen this really blown up case about Laurence Fox and some of the things he has said. 

- Advertisement -

“In the last 48 hours, he has said he is coming off social media due to the fact he is being consistently mobbed.

DON’T MISS: Laurence Fox steps up security as he reveals fears after threats

‘Totally unacceptable’ Free Speech champion attacks Laurence Fox critics (Image: BBC)

Laurence Fox shot to national notoriety after controversial comments on woke and cancel culture sparked fury on social media during his appearance on BBC Question Time (Image: BBC)

“That is totally unacceptable and there is a range of things that we will do.”

The director explained the ways the Free Speech Union would aid those who are vilified on Twitter. 

Ms Iman continued: “On the smaller end if someone is being mobbed on social media, which does have quite significant psychological effects, we will come to their defence.

“That is really significant just having the support there, knowing you are not alone can be really positive for people.” 

- Advertisement -

The director explained the ways the Free Speech Union would aid those who are vilified on Twitter. (Image: BBC)

Laurence Fox informed his 177,000 Twitter followers on Monday that he was going to be taking “an extended break” from social media following online backlash. 

The actor spoke out in 12 posts and explained he “wakes up in dread of what’s to come.” 

Mr Fox wrote on his Twitter: “I’m going to take an extended break from social media.

“I’d like to say a couple of things. First of all, a huge thank you to all of you who have followed me throughout my career and travelled vast distances to come and see me on stage, be in acting or singing.

READ MORE: 
Ryanair race row erupts on Jeremy Vine as guest clash [VIDEO]
Furious Jeremy Vine caller demands royal family be abolished [VIDEO]
Jeremy Vine forced to apologise after caller’s foul-mouthed insult [VIDEO]

Laurence Fox informed his 177,000 Twitter followers on Monday that he was going to be taking “an extended break” from social media following online backlash. (Image: GMB)

“Since my appearance on Question Time and the ensuing hubbub, I have had nothing but support on the street, from people of all backgrounds and political viewpoints.

“In the weird and lonely days that followed that appearance, your kind words have lifted my spirits, Thank you.

“But privately I have been becoming more and more depressed.

“I have been so shocked by some of the things said to me on these platforms and I have found some of it very hard to process.”

In a previous interview with TalkRadio Mr Fox insisted it is important to stand up to bullies and that he plans to set a good example for his children in how to deal with abuse. 

He also added he was taking physical threats to his wellbeing more seriously as he had a family to consider.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Popular