The little boy, thought to be the youngest British person in isolation, is a haemophiliac and already suffers with a lung condition. He and his mother have been put into quarantine in their own home in Sussex after both came into direct contact with the confirmed carrier, his father said. Last night the baby’s father, who did not wish to be named, said his son had “all the symptoms” associated with the virus and feared his four-year-old daughter may also have been infected.
“My ex-partner took him in to get checked out last Tuesday. We took him back yesterday morning, and as we arrived home at about 1pm we got a call from Worthing A&E.”
Paramedics in full hazmat suits took the family back to Worthing Hospital, where they were tested for the virus. The results are expected to come back tomorrow.
The father said: “They said both my son and his mum had been in direct contact with a confirmed case of coronavirus and told us to stay at home.”
He went on: “My four-year-old daughter has got the symptoms too now, and she’s getting worse.
“Both the kids have got flu-like symptoms, everything associated with the virus.”
UK coronavirus nightmare as baby youngest suspected case – family quarantined
It comes as public health authorities try to trace around a dozen patients treated by a GP last week over fears they could have caught the disease in Worthing Hospital in West Sussex.
The news came as a further case of coronavirus was confirmed in the UK
yesterday after a patient from China was taken to hospital in London.
Chief Medical Officer for England Professor Chris Whitty said the Chinese national was being treated at a specialist centre run by Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust in south London.
He said: “One further patient in England has tested positive for novel coronavirus, bringing the total number of cases in the UK to nine.”
His announcement followed the return home of the superspreader at the centre of the UK outbreak.
And today the 83 UK nationals flown back to Britain from Wuhan – the Chinese city at the centre of the outbreak – are expected to end their two-week quarantine at Arrowe Park Hospital in Merseyside.
It is reported they have all tested negative for the virus.
Superspreader Steve Walsh, 53, was discharged from St Thomas’ Hospital after two tests – 24 hours apart – showed he was now completely free from the virus and posed no threat to the public.
The gas salesman is believed to have infected several UK nationals after catching it during a Singapore business trip – including two GPs now in isolation, one of whom had worked a shift at Worthing Hospital.
Last night there had been 44,724 confirmed cases worldwide, with 1,114 deaths – nearly all in China. A total of 1,750 people in the UK have tested negative for the virus.