How can you protect yourself?
Advice from the WHO is as follows:
- Clean your hands with soap and water or 60 percent alcohol-based hand sanitiser
- Cover your nose and mouth with tissues on inside your elbow when coughing or sneezing
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth
- Avoid close contact with anyone with cold or flu-like symptoms
- Thoroughly cook meat and eggs
- Avoid unprotected contact with live wild or farm animals
According to the WHO, although it may be possible that people with coronavirus may be infectious before showing significant symptoms, people showing symptoms are, so far, causing the majority of virus spread.
Those with symptoms should practise “cough etiquette”, including maintaining distance, covering coughs and sneezes with disposable tissues or the inside of an elbow, and washing hands.
In China, protective face masks are in widespread use – both among the general population and medical staff.