Vitamin D supplements have been advised by the Scottish government for those not getting enough exposure to the sunshine. But what’s a sign you’ve had too much?
Researchers from the Medical University of Warsaw confirm the symptoms of vitamin D toxicity.
Vitamin D toxicity (also known as hypervitaminosis D) occurs when a person has too many vitamin D supplements.
Although vitamin D can be sourced from the sunshine and foods, both of these can not lead to an overdose in the body.
According to the National Institutes of Health, the threshold for vitamin D toxicity is between 10,000 to 40,000 IU per day.
The first thing a person can do if they’re experiencing symptoms of a vitamin D toxicity is to stop taking the daily supplements.
The Vitamin D Council states 15 minutes in the sunshine – for those with light skin – is all that is needed to get the recommended dosage of vitamin D.
Those with darker skin tones are advised to spend a couple of hours in the sunshine to have the same effect.