Weight loss is achieved in the kitchen – and eating the right foods can boost success. The NHS have their own 12 week diet plan, with a specific food advised at breakfast time.
Kicking off week one of their plan, the NHS tell dieters to make sure there is plenty of fibre in their meals.
This is particularly true at breakfast time – often thought of as the most important meal of the day.
They said: “Adding some fibre to your breakfast can help you stay feeling full until lunch and reduce the urge for a midmorning snack.
“Eating food with lots of fibre will help you feel full for longer, so you’re more likely to stick to your calorie limit.”
READ MORE: Adele weight loss: Expert claims ‘easy’ diet plan behind incredible 7st transformation
Weight loss: The NHS advise adding a fibre rich breakfast to stay full until lunchtime
So, what exactly should dieters prepare in the morning to get the right amount of fibre in their meals?
The NHS suggest two easy ways to modify popular breakfast foods to make them fibre-rich.
- Swap white bread for wholemeal or wholegrain varieties.
- Swap sugary cereals for high-fibre cereals such as wholegrain wheat cereals, unsweetened muesli, or porridge oats, and don’t forget to check the salt content.
They also remind dieters that eating the skin on fruits such as apples and pears adds in natural fibre, and eating fruit and vegetables is a healthy, low-calorie way to fill up.
Adam Woodyatt weight loss: EastEnders star ditched one food for incredible transformation [PICTURES]
Adele weight loss shock: Secret inspiration behind star’s seven stone diet plan revealed [EXPERT COMMENT]
Gordon Ramsay: How did he shed 3st? TV chef on heartbreaking motivation for weight loss [VIDEO]
Best high fibre breakfast ideas
The NHS suggestions are a good way to get started – but more those with more confidence in the kitchen might want to prepare food from scratch. Some of the best high fibre breakfast foods include:
- Oatmeal. Oats are a great source of fibre, and can be prepared the night before ready to eat the next morning. Try adding berries, as these have more fibre than other fruits. Shake together 140g of oats, 225ml of milk, and 150g berries. Leave overnight, then top with fresh berries in the morning before serving.
- Eggs. Eggs themselves are not particularly high in fibre, but they make an excellent vehicle for other high fibre foods such as beans, avocado, and wholewheat muffins.
- Smoothies. Making a fibre-packed smoothie is an easy way to up your intake, and allows variation with different fruit combinations. Adding spinach or seeds is another way to boost the fibre content.
Weight loss: Eating a diet rich in vitamins & minerals is the key to health
Best high fibre cereals
The NHS suggests a list of the best wholegrain cereals to choose. They also recommed chopping up a banana to add on top for extra sweetness.
- Wholegrain wheats
- Wholegrain raisin wheats
- Wholewheat biscuits
- Wholegrain oat biscuits
- Muesli (unsweetened)
- Porridge oats (unsweetened)
Exercise is also a key part of losing weight, and eating the right foods to fuel a workout is key to success.
Personal trainer and TV guru Jessie Pavelka explained what foods you should eat before training to get the best results.
He said: “Whether it be running, cycling, yoga, that short and fiery HIIT session, or readying yourself for a weight session at the gym, we’re all guilty of failing to take a second to pause and think about how we’re fuelling our body pre-workout.”
What slimmers eat depends on the type of workout they are about to do and it can make a huge difference to the results.