With the NBA officially setting the date for the NBA Draft as Oct. 15, the NCAA has announce that its withdrawal date for early entrants wishing to retain college eligibility will be Aug. 3 or 10 days after the NBA Draft Combine, whichever comes first.
NCAA vice president of basketball Dan Gavitt told Sporting News previously the organization had planned a withdrawal date it would announce once it got the official word on the NBA Draft but didn’t want to pre-announce out of respect for the league.
The Division I men’s basketball oversight committee determined the new date “allows a reasonable amount of time for all men’s basketball student-athletes to make a choice about starting a professional career,” according to a release from the NCAA. It still is unclear what sort of process the league might follow relative to the combine and individual player workouts for specific teams.
“This provides the utmost flexibility to student-athletes testing the waters to make the most informed decision about their future during this uncertain time,” Gavitt said in a release.
The NCAA chose to remove its original date of June 3 when the league announced it was postponing the draft indefinitely.
MORE: Key dates to know in NBA’s return
However, with the established date coming well after most colleges will begin their fall terms — the University of Iowa, where Sporting News Player of the Year Luka Garza could return from the early entry list, is scheduled to begin in mid-August — the NCAA needed to establish a date farther in advance of the actual draft than the original 2020 plan had been.
There are 163 collegians on the early entry list, although many already have announced they have closed to the door to a possible college return.
Among the top players who could return to school, along with Garza, are Villanova forward Saddiq Bey, Butler guard Jared Butler, Gonzaga center Filip Petrusev and Tennessee big man Yves Pons.