Iran’s President has warned that European troops could be in danger in the Middle East tomorrow, and said that US soldiers are not safe in the region. In a televised speech this morning, he hit out at the EU for “failing to act as an independent block”, and urged European leaders to apologise for its failure to keep its promises. Mr Rouhani also blamed the US for making the Middle East insecure and said they should apologise to Tehran for its previous crimes.
The Iranian chief’s comments on Europe come after Britain, France and Germany started a “dispute process” over the 2015 nuclear deal.
European leaders fear Iran is not adhering to its commitments on the agreement, which limited its nuclear activity.
Mr Rouhani said: “Today, the American soldier is in danger, tomorrow the European soldier could be in danger.”
The Iranian chief also questioned Boris Johnson’s suggestion that Iran should negotiate a new nuclear deal with US President Donald Trump, as the previous treaty was reached under President Obama’s leadership, and said “the US President has always broken promises”.
Iranian protestors burn the British flag earlier this week
Yesterday the UK Prime Minister suggested that Iran and the US should broker a new nuclear deal, after Iran pulled out of the existing 2015 accord in retaliation to US airstrikes.
Donald Trump had already withdraw from the nuclear deal in 2018.
The Iranian president told Washington to return to the 2015 nuclear pact between Tehran and world powers, adding that Iran could reverse its moves to scale back its commitments under the pact.
READ MORE: World War 3 warning: UK summons Iran over unacceptable breach – urgent no10 statement
Iran’s military accidentally shot down a Ukranian plane last week
Since Mr Rouhani made the announcement, it has emerged the British ambassador based in Tehran has left the country.
It comes after the ambassador, Rob Macaire was detained for a short time on Saturday night after attending a vigil for those who died when Iran’s military shot down a passenger jet.
In a statement, Iran’s foreign ministry said Mr Macaire was “reminded” that his presence at “illegal gatherings contravened” the Vienna Convention on diplomatic relations.
The US diplomat said he had made clear that he was not involved in demonstrations, and he was attending an event advertised as a vigil for the victims of Wednesday’s crash.
Mr Johnson condemned the move as “unacceptable” and said it breached the Vienna Convention, which states diplomats cannot be detained.
Iran plane crash: All 176 people on board were killed when the plane came down
Estimated number of US troops based in the Middle East
Tensions between the two states have escalated dramatically in recent weeks, after the US launched an airstrike on Baghdad airport, killing Iranian general Qassem Soleimani.
In response Tehran launched more than a dozen ballistic missiles on several US airbases in Iraq.
During the missile strike, Iran’s military accidentaly shot down a Ukranian plane, killing all 176 people on board.
Iran’s top diplomat Mohammed Javad Zarif has acknowledged that Iranian’s “were lied to” for days after the plane crashed.
The incident has sparked days of angry protests in the country.